Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CLUTCH AND BRAKE PROBLEMS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gearjammer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. gearjammer

gearjammer Registered Member

I hope this is the right place to be. How can you talk to somebody that has enough intellegence to know the difference between a socket wrench and a spare tire? Apparently here in Massachusetts there is no such animal. Where can I find a cable for a hand brake for a 87 Suburban? I have been to 5 garages down here and each one has said it is impossible because I have a lift kit and a rear end that doesn't go with the vehicle. It is an 80 3/4 ton truck, 14 boltFF. One mechanic said he could "Special Order" them from Chevorlet with no guarantee it would fit. You own them no matter what. $500 to wipe your ass with if it don't work. I also have clutch problems. I recently had my clutch pedal repaired so I could at least shift, now the clutch goes all the way to the top before it engages. This is not good. Can you tell me if there is another system you can use with a hydraulic that you can adjust? Putting a new clutch in doesn't make sense if it can't be adjusted. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just to be clear...you have an 87 Suburban with a 14 bolt FF from a 1980 3/4 ton? Your current E-brake set-up doesn't work with the 14 bolt you have...

I seem to recall someone using the backing plates from a SF 14 bolt so the E-brake could be made to work.

I'll bring it back to the top anyways...someone know's this.

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you talking about the small "assembly" that you pull on to release the brake, or the "short" cable that goes through the floor, which is what the ebrake pedal pulls on?

I know GM changed the e-brake setup in the early to mid 80's, as mines an '81 and the "old" style, but I'm betting the brake pedal cable is the same no matter the truck, as long as its a "later" setup like your '87.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Also on the hydraulic clutch, if this is a stock setup, the aftermarket master cylinder I bought has an adjustable pushrod, but IMO, unless you have the wrong master cylinder (clutch) then something else is wrong. Stock ones were not adjustable, and shouldn't be. I have a feeling an S-10 one will bolt up to a C/K truck, (I can't imagine someone did that to yours though) and thats the reason the aftermarket ones are adjustable.