Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch bellcrank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jul 3, 2004.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I have a 6 inch Tuff Country lift kit on my 73 K20, and after I installed the transfer case drop kit included in the lift kit, it made my clutch bellcrank bind up when my truck gets in offcambers. It put it at an angle and I dont think it will last long if I keep twisting it up. When in offcambers, I have to pull the clutch pedal up with my foot sometimes. Once the rod came off the bellcrank and I had to bend the rod a little and it helped but it still does it. Has anyone else had problems with this? Ive heard that some 73's had the clutch linkages changed because of this problem? I thought about installing a later model's hydraulic clutch, would that be hard?

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

hydraulic clutches are kind of hard to find and get parts for. Are you sure everything is tight? I had that problem and it ended up being a loose body mount up by the radiator. There shouldn't be that much flex in that sort of span, the clutch rod should be firmly mounted to the frame and then go to the bell housing. If you are driving and pull up on someting, like a curb real slow, and feel the clutch go in a little then I think something else is loose, check the cross members, leaf springs, body mounts, everyhing. that should be all solid, are you sure the bell housing isn't cracked or the fork broke? Just read the post some more, are you sure that drop kit is all tight, were there bushing in it or all solid mounts, those bushings could be flexing.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Raise your transfer case back up where it belongs. There is no reason to lower the transfer case for a 6" lift on a truck that long. I have a shortbox with 6 inches and my transfer case is indeed firmly bolted to the frame as it should be.

Lowering your transfer case inhibits ground clearance and makes your front driveshaft operate on a steeper angle (as if it's not steep enough already).

Not exactly sure who sold you a transfer case lowering kit for a longbox truck with 6" of lift, but take it out, problem solved.

I can walk you through the hydro clutch conversion but unless you're doing some crawling it will net little or no improvement over the mechanical.

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Its a Tuff Country lift kit, the directions said it eliminates vibration, but before I installed the drop kit, my driveshafts were not long enough to screw the caps back on the shaft, so it is necessary for my truck unless I want to spend outragous money on longer driveshafts. Also it helped quite a bit with the driveshaft angles.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It might have helped a little with the rear driveshaft but lowering your transfer case will increase your rear driveline angles.

If you can't hook up your driveshaft without that kit, you need to get a longer shaft whether you raise it back up or not. Your driveshaft is DEFINITELY too short if lowering your 'case 1" makes that much difference.

Longer driveshafts (or more correctly, lengthening yours) are not, "Outragous money." For the majority of us they're not only required, but they're a necessary part of lifting our trucks. If your shaft is too short and it pulls apart, there can be some really scary things happening when you go down the road.

Do yourself a favor and raise your transfer case back up again.