Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Change Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I'm changing the clutch in my 72 K-5 with Sm-465. I've decided to go with the Centerforce II clutch but what else Do I need to get and change while I'm in there?

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I would recommend you change the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and the rear main seal while you are in there. Also, it would be a good idea to take the flywheel in and have it resurfaced.

If your oil pan gasket is leaking at all, now would be a good time to change that too (while you have the extra room from the tranni being out).

Thomas.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

throw out bearing, resurface flywheel, and check the pilot bushing.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

What about the clutch fork? I see that jegs has a "high performance one" since i'm going with an aftermarket clutch with more holding power should i go with a better clutch fork? or just replace the one in there or just leave it be?

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just inspect the clutch fork...mine was fine and I am reusing it with a higher performance three prong style clutch with no problems....I think you'll be impressed with the feel of a new clutch period if you haven't had one in the truck since you owned it.... night and day difference!

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Yea I'm hoping it will make some difference. Right now I have about 1.5" of pedal that actually does anything. It's a real pain to drive. I'm deffinately looking forward to the results.