Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch fan with spacer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ_Overdrive, May 25, 2005.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

A quick question here.

I upgraded the 89' Burb to the 4core radiator swap (454 shroud) and now the fan blades are about a 1/4 inch from the shroud.

So, my question is, if I put a 1" spacer on the clutch fan to get it tucked nice and neat inside the shroud will that cause any problmes with the thermal clutch?

The spacer is made of allum. I wouldn't think so but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for any help!

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That's how my setup is. Been like that for a year now, probably 5000miles, and I haven't had any problems pop-up yet.

3. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

mrk5,
    Thanks for the info. I will go with the spacer and see how it works out.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not more than 1 inch!

I tried using a 2" spacer with a clutch fan--it caused the water pump shaft to snap flush with the case of the pump when I got my truck stuck in a snowbank,and had to race the motor up a bit to rock it out,sending the fan into the radiator and hoses! :mad: ...I'd say 1 inch spacer might be ok,but 2"--dont do it!...there is a lot of weight to a fan clutch and blade assembly,and they dont like being too far away from the mounting flange on the water pump,or they will start wobbling,and that leads to disaster... :crazy:

5. 4XSlave

4XSlave Registered Member

Eliminate the need for spacer and shroud by installing an electric fan. I got one with two 10 or 12" fans from summit and it helped drop the temp on my 83 fullsize.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

clutch fan is heavy unit. and the fan blades are to be about flush with the shroud. this is with themm all the way in the shroud. keep a eye on the setup with the spacer. radiators arnt cheep anymore.