Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Fluid Leak Somewhere?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SprinklerGuy, Sep 16, 2002.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

Anybody ever have a leak in the hydraulic clutch seal near the firewall? It appears that the seal is wet and the master (clutch of course) cylinder level goes down pretty quick, even when the truck just sits. I have some books, not many, and searched here of course. What is the seal called and where can I find the procedure to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't appear to be any visible leaks elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like your master cylinder gave out from the description you gave... but I would want to see a pic of the location where the fluid is leaking from to tell you for sure. Hope that helps.

-Dan

3. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

I'm sorry, my post was misleading. When I said firewall I should have said "inside" the cab near where the clutch pedal bolts to the inside of the firewall. Up under the fuse panel the clutch pedal arm hooks up to the linkages....that seal there. I can take a pic tomorrow. Thanks.....btw it is an 87 suburban with 3 speed and granny gear. Thanks

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My sub had a leak when I bought it at the clutch fork ram, I just filled the res with some leak stopper power stering fluid(I had to try something). even though its probible not to good for it but its working.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yup, that is the master cylinder. I would replace it vs. putting in stop leak! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Should cost about $70...

-Dan

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen that too. One of the reasons I don't run carpet/insulation. That stuff (brake fluid) eats paint like nobodies business, and the trucks I've seen that had leaks there, were as rusty as could be where the fluid HAD been running, but was absorbed/hidden by insulation and carpet.

Personally don't think that stop leak stuff is bad, as long as its similar in theory to the automatic tranny stop leak. Tried a similar thing with a hydraulic press, although unintentionally...sprayed silicone fluid in it just to make it work (it didn't help) but later someone tried the jack, and it not only didn't leak fluid anymore, it actually worked! (and still does, numerous months afterwards)

Silicone swells/"nourishes" rubber, so I don't see anything inherently wrong with any product or chemical that does that, because IMO, its just like having a new seal in there. Well, not quite new, but "reconditioned". Not good for sunlight exposed seals though. (weatherstripping)

BTW, I'd never use stop leak in a radiator though, totally different idea there, and I've seen it cause problems.

7. k5geezer

k5geezer Registered Member

Like Dan said, it's the master cylinder. When they go bad, they leak inside the firewall. You can get a rebuild kit (new seals) and repair it yourself, or a replacement unit. One of mine had a seal lip folded over and all I had to do was straighten it out, reassemble and it worked. Bleed it real carefully when you intall.