Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Free Play?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

If got an '84 Fullsize Jimmy with the SM465 -- I just had the clutch replaced, and the pedal seems to travel about 4 inches down before it actually starts disengaging the clutch. There aren't any problems shifting, but 4" seems like a lot of free play. Is there an easy way to adjust this?

I'd hate to find out I'm wrecking something when there's a simple fix.

-Al.

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Did you try adjusting the rod that goes between the z bar and the clutch arm? I have the same tranny in my '77 and there's a lot of play in every part of the linkage. Maybe the the new clutch is exaggertaing this play. I put roller blade wheel bearings in some of the pivot points.

Take your yuppie SUV back home! I'm not going to pull you out again.

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I adjusted my clutch just yesterday.......I've got a 79 with the SM465 and I'm not sure when chevy started using the hydrolic setup. What you want to do is to thread the adjustment nut/pivot towards the front of the truck. This is accomplished much easier if both springs are removed first....adjust the nut.....then reinstall the springs or better yet replace the long clutch return spring. Its the one that goes between the frame and clutch fork. Good luck. Its easier than it sounds.

Any questions just ask

James

79jimmy@sprint.ca

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The adjustment is VERY simple - turn a nut on the bolt between the z-bar and the clutch fork. If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be approx 1/2" play before you feel resistance - hardly any at all. 4" is way too much.
    -- Mikje