Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch gurus...flywheel help/opinions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 2, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am trying to select a flywheel for my 700-465 conversion...The GM flywheel, I was told, is GM#10105832 and is $170 shipped to my door from www.gmpartsdirect.com... The Centerforce flywheel is $245 from Jegs and a McLeod flywheel is $240 from Summit (both the centerforce and McLeod prices are before shipping) Now, are the cneterforce or McLeod flywheels really worth the extra $$$$ What is the big difference? I will be running a Center Force Dual Friction...Will I be okay if I go with the GM flywheel...? Thanks for th ehelp gang...

Chris

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what are the wieghts of each one?
    heavier is better???
    I think I would be going with the cheaper GM
    when did chev flywheels start being made of gold?

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

go with the g.m. i run the same clutch with g.m. flywheel have had no problem's. great choice in clutch also. i have been told by a couple people you will break the flywheel or somthing else before you will seriasly slip this clutch. i beleave them, i have not been able to make it slip. had the clutch behind my sb and now have it behind a 450 hp bb.
    choice is you'res tho.

dave

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ya, MJ, all the Steel ones seem to be around 30# or so, at least the GM and McLeod ones are....I will probably just get the GM one even though it is kinda $$$ for a not-so-special piece of steel /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Chris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Someone has one on the for sale board IIRC, $30, and they can be turned for $35 locally. No reason to go with "new" flywheels, if you can get a used one with good starter teeth. I asked the shop how many times you can have them turned, and unless they were REALLY bad, it would be a whole bunch of times. I couldn't see spending 180 for a GM part that I could get the same "broken in" one for $10 (in my case) : )