Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Help sm465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman7202, Nov 8, 2005.

1. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

I have a 1972 gmc jimmy 4x4 with the sm465 behind a 400 sbc with hays superbrute clutch, and pressure plate, with resurfaced flywheel, new piolt and bearing.
    Now onto my question. When first installed the clutch worked aight, however now 60 miles later I am having issues with the clutch not disengaging. I have manual linkage that has some slop, which i have tried to correct with bushings ect.... Now when i am under the truck looking at the clutch disk, the sucker expands. Is this normal because its the spring loaded disk?? or is the clutch shot? In neutral the clutch is slipping, caus i can hear it rubbing , and when in gear whith the clutch depressed to the floor or any where in the travel, the truck wants to move. i have alota linkage travel so i know the fork is getting pushed pretty far, i would say about an 1.25" to 1.5", is this enough? if its not, i am lost with what to do caus i dont want to tighten it up any more, becaus its already too tight, there is no space on the fingers to the throw out bearing, which i know is bad, but i was trying to get the clutch to stop rubbing. I am also pretty sure that i have the disk in the right way. :confused:
    I am also looking at replacing the linkage with the spherical rod ends and a tube, or maybe hydraulic. If the disk is shot and i have to replace it, i just might get a new bell housing and then go hydraulic. any and all surgestions appreciated.

Thanks Alot guys!!!! this site has inspired me on how i can build my other 1972 jimmy to be a great truck.
    Jim

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

umm you might want to post this in the garage, this isn't the right place for this...plus you'll get more responces in there.

3. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i see that now.... however i do not know how to move a thread any help anyone?