Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jays68yak, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

So I go to install the tranny last night. Start by getting the clutch installed. Well I seem to have an issue here.
    [​IMG]
    The springs on the clutch disc are hitting the heads of the bolts. Im left with about a 1/4" gap.
    Now sleeping on it I realize that I think the flywheel might be at fault.
    [​IMG]
    The bolt heads are not recessed that far. Also notice the 1/4" that the flywheel sits past the end of the crank. The flywheel is on all the way, torqued to 60ft lbs.
    IMO the bolt heads need to be in another 1/4". What are your thoughts?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What are those star washers under there? I've never used a washer under any of my flywheel bolts.
    Are you sure the clutch disc is facing the right direction? Where did you get the flywheel from? Are you sure it's right for the application?

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

They are mr gasket flywheel bolts bought 2 days ago. Even if I took the washer out it wouldnt create enough room.

Yes the side of the disc that says facing flywheel is well umm facing the flywheel.

I got the flywheel off of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180024978545&rd=1,1

Motor is a 454 out of an 88 suburban.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

2 things..

All the stock GM flywheel bolts I have removed or put back had star washers on them...:confused:

I could be wrong,but I thought the "Flywheel side" of the disc is always the side the springs stick out of!(on chevies at least!)--I think you have it flipped 180 degrees!..:crazy:

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

The springs stick out farthest on the side you can see. If I turn it its going to be even worse.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've never seen star washers on a flywheel bolt. Flat washers yes.

Anyway, Spring dampers usally always go towards the transmission side. So I think you have that right. FLywheel looks ok, according to cat's books.

What cluch is it? (Man. & part number)

7. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

napa mu1909-1 everything I could find in google said it should be good.