Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch housing separation - FIXED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, May 8, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Pulled out the 7/16-14's and put in some 1/2-13's 1 1/2 in long. Sucked that thing right in! If they weren't 1/2 inch holes earlier, they are now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll have to see how it holds. They weren't too hard to put in, so it must have been right. Really weird, the 7/16's really did bite in, seemed right when I installed it, just pulled out after driving.

Original Post
    --------------------------
    Drove around the block a couple times after the conversion to the SM465, got under there to lube some stuff and noticed the transmission is starting to separate from the clutch housing. I didn't have the original 4 bolts that held them together, but I got some grade 8 bolts- 7/16 I think- and put it together. I thought it fit fine, then this happens. I think the bell housing is aluminum, so could probably be easily destroyed. What should I do? Could the bolt have been wrong? Could they be metric? Does anyone know what they should be?

Also, the thing sat there for two weeks and never leaked, but after I drove it a short distance, I got a drip coming from between the adapter and the transmission. The adapter shouldn't even have oil in it - should it? Is is coming from the transmission output shaft?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Clutch housing separation

You could have gotten bolts that were too long and tightened up before the tranny got tight. There is no oil to leak from the front of the tranny. If the adapter is leaking try to tighten those bolts again. Did you use a gasket or a silicone sealer?

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The leak is at the rear of the tranny, between the tranny case and the transfer case adapter. That's why I'm thinking output shaft seal. How hard is that to replace?

For the bolts, I really don't think they're too long. I'm dreading the thought that they may have pulled out the threads. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The housing seems kind of soft compared to all the other cast iron I'm dealing with here.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure those bolts are 1/2x13...not 7/16". If you pooched the threads you can always heli-coil the bell or find another bellhousing.

The leak is probably a bad seal between the adaptor and the T-case. That seal can get 'nicked' quite easily on assembly...so a leak there is common (and frustrating as hell)

Rene

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah just pull the tcase off and run a bead of silicone around there, will be good as new.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And you are sure you have bolts that are long enough?

Along with bolts being too long and bottoming out, or the wrong bolts, or bad threads, bolts that are too short will work their way out.

Went through this issue on a 10 bolt rear I bought, every two weeks it would start dripping fluid, bolts would be loose. Can't even remember how I figured it out, but the bolts that a PO had used were just too short, and that was all it took for them to loosen up.

Just something else to check. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

They're probably threaded in about 3/4 of an inch. Should be about right. I am pretty sure that they weren't as big as 1/2-13. Anyone know for sure what size they are? I don't want to go cramming the wrong ones in and destroy the housing, really don't want to pull the tranny/t-case again. Would a 1/2-13 hole get somewhat of a grip on a 7/16-14 bolt? That would explain why they felt somewhat sloppy until I threaded it in farther (14 jamming into 13?).

On the oil leak, the adapter isn't supposed to be full of oil is it? I thought it was just an empty, hollow housing that the output shaft went through and bolted the t-case to the tranny.

8. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

When I put mine in I used all new bolts and bought ARP Transmission bolts which were 7/16" - 14 x 1 1/2" and they worked just fine and fit perfectly.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I could have sworn mine were 1/2x13...but it has been a while so I could be mistaken. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

1/2-13
    also the seal will not cause an external oil leak but trying to use silicone instead of a gasket will
    the seal nick will cause fluid to transfer from the tranny to the TC

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

updated up top

12. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I went through a sorta similar problem. I was drivin my truck a lot (on the road) back then and havin the hardest time shifting down. Some times when it was on the trail (frame etc. twisted/flexed) I couldn't even get it outta gear: BAD. My friends and other hicks were like: "you jus gotta start drivin that like a truck"
    so as you dudes know, the best way to shift that 465 is with a little throttle between gears. so I dealt with this for another couple months till it just locked up.
    turns out the bellhousing and tranny were separated and the clutch was pushing the two apart when I shifted! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    didn't find that out till i swaped the new motor in! roops...