Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch install aftermath

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, May 30, 2006.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Well yesterday I put a Centerforce II in my truck and I have to say the thing is smooth - to shift and slip that is. What is not smooth is the ride over like 40 MPH. It feels like a high frequency vibration (as opposed to a tire out of balance). I can feel it all over the truck and it is not good. I checked the drive shaft and replacecd all fluids and made sure everything was tight. What else could it be and please dont tell me I have to drop that bitch again! thanks - Andy

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Did you center the clutch plate correctly.
    Did you tighten the pressure plate to spec....that would let the clutch wobble all over the place.
    Bellhousing loose?

3. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Bellhousing is tight,
    Pressureplate is tight,
    How do you center the clutch plate? I used an alignment tool and the tranny slipped right in. Is there more to it than that? Im sweating bulletts here!

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nope that is all there is to it really. Besides if the tranny went in ok, then everytime the throwout bearing hits the plate the clutch will recenter.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Did you turn the flywheel?
    Maybey the clutch or flywheel is out of balance. Never heard of it but it could be?

6. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Did you replace the pilot bearing??? Have the flywheel turned???? The throw out bearing??? Is the clutch fork OK??? Did you pull the weights off the clutch fingers for any reason???

7. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I didnt replace the pilot bushing because it was only about a year old, also I didnt replace or turn the flywheel becuase it too was fairly new. The throw out bearing is a new Centerforce unit and and the clutch fork appeared to be ok and I did not mess with the weights on the pressure plate. I am going to have to look at it again becuase there must be something I missed.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Whenever you replace a clutch, no matter how little wear is on the flywheel, it should be turned. if its not then the new lutch will wear into the pattern of the old one and wear out quicker...shoulda had it turned...

9. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Right but that wouldnt cause this vibration would it?

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Did you install the throwout bearing properly? There's a tapered conical that is supposed to go into the fork a particular way. There should have been instructions on the centerforce box for that.

Other than that, something isn't balanced. You may have gotton a bum unit. If everything was balanced before you removed the clutch, something with the new one is cauing vibration. I don't think the flywheel not being turned would cause a balance issue, (but I agree with the other guy, always turn the flywheel). Does it smell like it's slipping?

Did you put the driveshaft back in it's same position? You could try to remove it and phase it 180* and put it back. I usally mark the caps and yokes before removal so I can put it back exactly how it was.

11. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Right I am gonna try to phase the drive shaft today. See if that helps and Ill let you know. Thanks for all the responses

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's a few positions to try. If the output yoke was turned (usally the case) while the case was out you might have to turn that 180 as well.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I doubght it would cause the vibration but it came up so i added the input..

14. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! It was the driveshaft. I spun it 180 and its all good. Case closed!

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

glad to hear its fixed...:waytogo: