Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch master cylinder - gasket for firewall?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djohnsn, Apr 21, 2005.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

The exploded view of the clutch linkage in GM's literature shows a gasket between the clutch master cylinder and the firewall (pn 15592279). This gasket is no longer available from GM. My local parts stores can't get it either. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I have heard that I should not use a replacement clutch master cylinder (Raybestos, etc). Can anyone tell me why? Is is really worth twice the price to get one from GM?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have used parts store rebuilds and had no problems. As for the gasket, I don't run one. If you really want one, just use some RTV silicone.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think as with any aftermarket parts, the cylinders are a crap shoot. Mine was in place less than 5 years (not much usage, could be part of the prob, but shouldn't) and was leaking out the seal in the back, into the cab.

I wouldn't pay double for the GM piece for sure. Gaskets, trim, yes, not a clutch master though.

That gasket must come with the MC, I didn't have to buy a gasket.

4. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I thought that the gasket should have been included with the master also. I even had the parts guy double check another box, but no gasket. I have not decided how critical it is though.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's not critical.

Only thing its there for is to keep things out of the cab which is really just air. If the cylinder leaks or anything, it will come out on the inside anyways.

I'd probably just silicone it so no cold feet. :)