Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Clutch Master Cylinder Mounting Question !!! HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Aug 19, 2003.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I'm going to be attempting very soon the auto to manual swap.

My concern is mounting the slave cylinder to the fire wall. I have an 83 K5 that will receive the sm465.

Does anyone have pics and measurements for the holes?
    I've been told there are small divots for drilling but my only guess is that in California back in 83 they didn't offer the hydro in Blazers let alone manuals so there wouldn't be any divots.

Could someone that has the hydro either in a truck or K5 take a picture or 2 or 10... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks so very much...
    KEN /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: !!! Slave Cylinder Mounting Question !!! HELP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOL
    just gave those to Impex not 5 minutes ago so they were still on my clipboard

I think 85 was first year for hydro and would bet the divots are 85+ only but you tell us

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just installed and mounted mine in a 84, only 85 and up trucks with a manual tranny will have the dimples as 85+ trucks were hydro. I can get some measurements for you on my hole. Also note that the wiper motor has a bracket as pictured above that the resevoir mounts to...I'll take some measurements in the morning of my setup

4. DuneRunner

MJ and Josh,

Thank you both for the info. I have a better idea of what to look for. If either of you could do the measurements that would help tremendously... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The Pics are sick!!! If you could measure from some where that we all could go by. (ie. break booster bolts, Directly down from the wiper motor mounts)

MJ what year is your rig?

As for the Measurements of both your HOLES I'd rather not know... lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Again,
    KEN /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You don't have the Hydro pedal?

If you don't the firewall will need to be reinforced due to the pressures created on it from the clutch....

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the cab is an 87 from the wrecking yard
    was 2wd automatic, and had the hole locations clearly marked with indents
    just need to apply the drill

I think you can see the spot where I thought it should go before I pulled the booster and inner fender out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. DuneRunner

Nick and MJ,
    Thank you for the info.

I'm thinking that I will attempt to HACK out a portion of a fire wall at a Junk yard or make a templete and then add 1/8" plate to spread the pressure over the entire surface. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'd rather be working on it them here at work... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

looks like the relation to the wiring harness would be helpful
    but the real indicator is the 2 strut rods that come with the hydro pedal assembly to support the master
    where they land is where you drill

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I think 85 was first year for hydro and would bet the divots are 85+ only but you tell us

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet MJ is right here too, but one thing thats kind of odd. The floor is still dimpled for a manual linkage hole. At least, thats what we noticed on an 88 tub I had and sold. My friend installed the Hydro Clutch and found the dimples you spoke of and it was fairly easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. DuneRunner

So Is it Possialbe to use a 78 "linkage" type peddel on my 83 and still have the Hydro set up. Just use a return spring like the old school?

OR

Should I go and find a "Hydro" Peddal Assembly? and replace it all. (the hudge base plate/peddal assembly that holds the break boster)

I''m /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif As all Heck now! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

What I have is a 78's clutch and brake peddle/ Bolt and return spring.
    Factory replacement Clutch Cylinder. And thats all. I was going to Plate on the inside to stif'n up the floor board in the cab and weld 2 bolts that will go though into the engine comp. and bolt to the cylinder... HELP ME FIGURE IT OUT!! PLEASE /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am not much of a fabricator, hence, I went with the hydro pedals.

As I recal, the hardest thing for me to do was to drill the hole for the Clutch M/C.

Everything else lined up and I drilled the holes for the support brackets, and voila' I just needed to bleed it.

I tried to do this on my friend's '72 blazer, I lined up the M/C wrong, we got the wrong throw (it is very hard to push on the pedal) due to the length of the pedal and relational to the pedal assembly.

Not to mention, the angle of the pedal as it travels through the length of the M/C. If this is off, you will score the inner wall of the M/C you will have a premature M/C failure.

So if you take a pencil (your pedal arm) Place the one END in your left hand, PUSH it on the other end, you will see how you get different lengths of THROW as you look at the far end of the pencil, and the middle of the pencil.

Now look at the "arc" of the pencil, if there is too much arc, you will score your M/C wall as you push in the clutch.

I am little tired today, I hope this makes sense.

For me, as a non-fabricator, the $100 I paid for the pedals were well worth it.

My friends '72 Clutch WORKS... but it is harder than mine, and has a short throw, this makes his clutch engage quickly on the short pedal throw.

Good LUCK!

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the pedal assembly from the wreckers SHOULD be dirt cheap, as they normally are not a desireable part, hence to the crusher as scrap

it can be done the hard way, BUT with well designed bolt in available everywhere I wouldnt do it.

I was contemplating making a deal with a local wrecker to assemble 'kits' to do the hydro swap.
    I just think I have more enemies then friends here so doubt I could sell them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the pedal assembly from the wreckers SHOULD be dirt cheap, as they normally are not a desireable part, hence to the crusher as scrap

it can be done the hard way, BUT with well designed bolt in available everywhere I wouldnt do it.

I was contemplating making a deal with a local wrecker to assemble 'kits' to do the hydro swap.
    I just think I have more enemies then friends here so doubt I could sell them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey M_J why do you think that?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Just kidding, I know I see some posts talking about you, but I haven't seen anything so I am not one of your so called enemies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Well I am sure if you do assemble all the parts needed for the swap some people will buy them, the only thing you would have to do is turn orange /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hey Nick, for a non fabricator you know a lot about geometry and how things work, all you need is confidence.
    Or it's the will that you lack?
    One more thing, you need to get out wheeling more often, are you gonna make the BB03 trip?

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think you have to buy ad space, a lot more(no idea how much as I have never inquired) then just $25 orange fee

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Nick, for a non fabricator you know a lot about geometry and how things work, all you need is confidence.
    Or it's the will that you lack?
    One more thing, you need to get out wheeling more often, are you gonna make the BB03 trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see things in my head, I just can't make them. When I do, they ALWAYS turn out wrong. The will is there, just not the way! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As for wheeling more, the wife won't let me... She just came in and told me I spend too much time talking to everyone here...

**** Maybe it's time for a new g/f /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif J/K

16. DuneRunner

"My friends '72 Clutch WORKS... but it is harder than mine, and has a short throw, this makes his clutch engage quickly on the short pedal throw."

Nick and MJ,

This is the main reason I'm going to waite and do it right. I'm affraid to get the "PW" premature ware. I also noticed on my 83 that it has a wire loom shooting right though a hole which seems to be the hole for the hydro clutch. That could be the reason why CA "SMOG CRAP" didn't offer a standard trany in the K5. Although we know they still had the "arm" style clutch till 84.

I'm scraping the barrle to find one of these hydro peddle assemblys. Any one know of one they could find for me?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! THANK YOU! KEN

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I thought a wire loom hole was the one on my 87 cab as well, I was off by a couple inches /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I think you will be ok once you get a pedal assembly
    I think the support rods will fall exactly where you need to drill once you get the assembly bolted up

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I took the whole setup from a '93 and made that work in my '72. if you just bolt it to the firewall it will buckle, like fords do, so the whole assembly like I did makes it stronger. Ill try and get pics.

19. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I just went through this whole mess. I used pre-hydraulic pedals first. The throw on the pedal was about an 1.5" and was very hard to push. I'm not talking 5 or ten pounds of force, I'm talking plant your ass in the seat firmly and push as hard as you can. It was horrible wheeling. If i had the clutch pushed in for about a minute my leg would start shaking. I was in a big rush and had no time to research. I finally found not one, but two sets of pedals and installed.

I learned alot about pedal setups throughout this process though. Pre hydro pedals use 1 bolt to hold the brake and clutch, hydro pedals use 2 bolts.

If you use pre-hydro pedals make sure you make a mount very close to the pivot on the pedal. Also, make two bars that attatch from the 1 bolt on the pedal, and through the firewall. Mount the master cylinder to these two bars. If you don't do something similar, all the force multplied through the pedal assembly will move ~1/4 to 1/2". This is what happened in my first setup...

Also, I got all the holes lined up using a template. I used a pizza box lid and lined it up with the 4 holes for the brake booster. From there I copied the pattern on the fire wall an tranfered that to my blazer.

If any of this needs clarifying just say so...

20. DuneRunner

This goes out to all of you that have helped clear things up. I'm very close to getting a set of hydro peddles and mount. I'm very excited to do this swap now that I know I needed the hydro peddles all along.

I've been thinking that this is the only way to go about it. And sticking with factory specs is the way to go.

THANK YOU ALL! for the help.

KEN /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif