Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch master Cylinder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SprinklerGuy, Dec 13, 2002.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

Can anyone help with step by step instructions for replacing a master cylinder for my clutch in my 87 burb ? Last time someone helped with pics of heater cores for my brother in laws 81 blazer, worked out great. Thanks in advance.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

go get a shop manual. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Remove master cylinder and replace with a new one...

No, just unhook the hydraulic line from the MC, the under the dash, unhook the MC push rod from the clutch pedal (there should be a cotter pin and a washer IIRC) the remove the MC by unbolting the 2 nuts from the bolts that hold the MC (the bolts come thorugh the firewall and the MC is helt to the bolts with nuts...once the nuts are off, you may have to slightly pry the MC form the firewall. Install is the reverse of removal. then bleed the system...

Chris

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

to bleed the slave must be removed from bell and held at an angle

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here is the master under the hood:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a quick shot under the dash... not too clear, but I tried! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the slave cylinder:
    [​IMG]

Can't do much better... This is as close as I can get without taking it all apart. You really have to dig thru the dash to see the bolts that hold the master on the inside of the firewall. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

6. KRAZIE87K5

Oh yea... and look at Chris's instructions for details on the pictures... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

7. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

Wow! That is the kind of help I was looking for. Do you bleed just like brakes? I remember the last time I did that it was a two person job....same witht he clutch? Thanks a lot guys!

Any recommendations on shop manuals? I bought a manual on ebay thinking it was right but it is mostly transmission rebuilds and engine work...Unit Repair Manual....now I think I need one that will show the smaller stuff.

Thanks again! Krazie K5, above and beyond the call of duty. If I can ever help you with my specialty, lawn sprinklers, let me know!

8. KRAZIE87K5

Bleeding is done by simply doing like mj said... you need to yank the slave and hold the cylinder in a way that the bleeder is at the top. Have a friend proceed to fill the reservoir until you no longer get bubbles @ the slave. WARNING!!! DO NOT DEPRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL WHEN BLEEDING THIS SYSTEM!!! ITS A BIG NO NO!!! mj WILL TELL YOU WHY IF HE CHECKS IN AGAIN ON THIS THREAD! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

LOL
    I dont recall if the result is the slave spits the piston out and it is a bit of work to reassemble without knicking a seal.

thanks for the honourable mention.
    see you on here in 5-6 days

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

god damn, i didnt know that having a hydraulic clutch was this complicated, seeing this makes me wish i had a mechanical clutch linkage, well maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    god damn, i didnt know that having a hydraulic clutch was this complicated, seeing this makes me wish i had a mechanical clutch linkage

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no it doesn't /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif