Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Pedal Mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 7, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Does anone have a picture of their clutch pedal mountin bracket or an in depth explanation of how to mount it. I heard some years can use the automatic tranny brake pedal bracket to mount the clutch pedal, but some need a different bracket. I have a 78- what all do i need?
    Thanks,
    Bowtie

2. BowtieRed

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Easist to get the whole pedal assembly from a manual truck. I think what guys are referring to is how the clutch pedal is affixed to a piece of pipe that passes through the brake pedal fulcrum. While I haven't done it, it looks as though the clutch pedal and shaft (pipe) could be removed from the assembly and swapped into the auto pedal assembly. The auto brake pedal is quite wide, so it would be very close to, or even touching, the clutch pedal.

IMO, I'd still swap the entire pedal assembly.

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

You need to grab a whole brake and clutch pedal assem. from a manual truck. It bolts right in. The hardest part is locating the hole for the cluthc rod to go through the floor but it can be measured from the manual truck you get the pedals from. Also, You need the braket from the frame for the clutch linkage to pivit on. Its rivited from the factory but a chisel or torch will take it off. Hope this helps.

5. BowtieRed

don't need the last bracket mentioned, got a hydro clutch. that's the Z-bar you're referring to.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had tried mounting the pedal to the auto thing by trimming it with a sawzall last year and I"ve had hell with my clutch pedal.

My friend just cut up an '83 K20 with a 4 speed so I used the pedals for that (got em free!). I am so much happier now that I've got the right stuff.

You will have to remove your steering column and brake booster to get it out of the donor and do the same to yours to get the new bracket assembly into your truck. It took me a total of about 3 hours to swap that stuff into my truck but I took my time and I was removing some useless wires for my cruise control in the process.

Trust me, take the time to do it right. I've always half-assed things in the past but I'm fixing them all little by little as I've become a much better wrench in the last year or so.