Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch pedal placement in tranny swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Mar 30, 2002.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I know a many of you have done the 700r to a sm465 swap, so i am asking for any helpful advice about the bolting up the clutch pedal assembly in the truck? I got the pedal assembly out of a 88 K1500 which is different than the blazers but it should still work, no? Did you have to fab anything to bolt it up in the dash? Anything would help.

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

What year is your rig?When I swapped mine I used a pedal assembly from a 77 Sub.It bolted right in.I also used the subs column so I don't have the auto shifter handle.Not sure if the 88 will work.Will most likely need to modify it a bit.Maybee alot.

3. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

It's a 85'. There is no brakets in that column that i can bolt up to. Would it be easier if i replaced the steering column with all the brackets all together? Or did i not get a bracket when they pulled out the clutch pedals for me? Sh*t it should be this difficult, I think i am just making this harder than it really is. I thought that the 88 pedal assembly would work fine.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isnt 88 an entirely different animal then your 85
    stick with same body style
    drop the column and swap pedal bracket
    I had no snags

5. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

So the brackets are different??......Well that changes everything.....I went through about 25 trucks at this yard and not one hydo. setup for a Blazer, they where all K1500!! I rolled the dice....and lost....i think i will hunt some more...I really didn't think that there was that much of a difference.

6. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I modified my pedal bracket with a sawzall and just added the clutch pedal to the left of the brake pedal. I have done this with two trucks and it has worked out well. Most recently on an 85 K5. Good luck.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think it would be hard (not nearly as hard as retrofitting '88 pedals) to make a pre-hydraulic (starting in '73) pedal setup work. At worst, you would have to add the stud for the master cylinder plunger, at best, they are in the same spot.

8. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Well yesterday I went out and got the right assembly. There is a big difference. The assembly i just got now is a one piece unit with the brake and clutch out of a 85' 2500 GMC, The "old" clutch bracket I was fighting with out of the 88' the clutch and brake pedals were seperate. I could make it work but since i found the bolt in one for my turck I'm going with that.

Thanx for all the input.