Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Pedal Repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Bear with my pics, some are not great. Picked up the stuff for my 4-speed swap. The pedals had worn pivot bushings and the clutch rod had worn an oblong hole into the pedal surface. I had to file the pedal rod hole flat and I drilled out the mount hole in the pedal and sleeved it with a bronze oilite bushing. You have to trim the bushing to fit but it works great.

Also ordered the new pedal and brake pivot plastic bushings and installed new pivot support rods (these pieces all fit up inside the pedal pivot mounts). AN FYI for everyone. According to my GM dealer the metal pivot rods that the plastic bushings ride on are no longer available for 1984 and older trucks - how true that is who knows. He could not get them. The rods for 85 and up are about 1/4" too short, so if yours are worn you will have to buy the correct size steel pipe at the hardware store and cut it to the correct length. I did order the plastic rod bushing for the 85 and up because those are the same.

1st set of pics is the clutch rod bushing install. Second set is the brake/clutch pedal rod bushing set and worn rod support from broken bushing.

Needless to say there is no play in the pedals now and the movement is perfecto.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Nice work. For those who want to do it the white trashy way, when you take out your old pedals the plastic bushings in the brake pedal are usually like new (don't move very far when used...) so you can take the old worn ones out of your clutch pedal and replace them w/ the ones from your old brake pedal. Works, but not as good as fixing it all like Jiminy did!!:grin:

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

thank you, i will have to do this soon, and this will definately help
    oh, do you have the part numbers?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The only part numbers I have are for the green plastic bushings. GM# 00346381

They come in a pack of 5 no less and cost 1.39 each. The bronze bushing and steel stock you can get at a good hardware store, just cut them to size.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

copper bushings

A friend of mine used copper tubing to replace the plastic bushings that were trashed in his pedal cluster,he bought a peice with the closest I.D. and slit it open,had to expand the "shell" little to make it fit--it worked out pretty well,a little grease and its quiet and much tighter--I'm going to do this to the brake pedal in my C-10,it rattles like crazy when driving on rough roads..but in the spring,when its more than 20 degrees out!!:crazy:

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Cool,I'll be doing the swap this spring.Good info,thanks....:thumb: :usaflag: