Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Pedal ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muley, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

OK I have talked to two different friends that are mechanics. They both say that there is suppose to be a sleeve of some sort, metal or plastic, that goes on the clutch pedal stud that the clutch master cylinder hooks to. Thus preventing any play in the pedal.

Anyone know what the part number is for this? The dealerships I have gone to, do not show it on there diagram. Someone posted the same diagrams a while back and it was not shown there either.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Good question. My manual setup just had the metal adjustamble rod in there. You adjusted it so that it was nice and tight and that took care of the play. I dont believe that there was any type of sleeve in the system. The only plastic sleeve that I could think of would be the ones that go over the rods that support the pedals.

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My manual setup just had the metal adjustamble rod in there. You adjusted it so that it was nice and tight and that took care of the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sure what you are talking about. The stud on the pedal is lets say 1/4" while the eye on the clutch master cylinder is 3/4" so there is 1/2" or so of play. Is this normal? I have the impression that there should not be any play at all between the pedal being depressed and the master cylinder moving.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    adjustamble

[/ QUOTE ]

Woof. Well, I thought that the firewall side was a beveled end so that the rod would center itself in the hole under pressure. The clutch rod that I had had a pointy end that went into the firewall and then a threaded end that went into a "C" looking thing that went around the clutch pedal. the "C" thingy was threaded and had a jam nut on it. You could loosen the jam nut and turn the rod to get your adjustment.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

something sounds strange there.
    the eye on the clutch master rod is 1/2" larger then the pin on the pedal it is supposed to go onto?
    mine has ~1/2" stud and matching ~1/2" eye

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What MJ said...mine has a nice fit...the only play I have in the cluth pedal is from the pivot..the little platstic busings are long gone...I really don't mind though...

Chris

7. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Had the same problem on my 77 1/2 ton. I ended up buying some cheesy plastic sleaves and modifying them. Before I did this, I didn't worry about it either until it gauled the pivot and the pedal started sticking and popping!

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif