Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clutch pedals???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steve_kibbe, Apr 12, 2006.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm just thinking out loud......

What needs to be done to put a clutch pedal assy. in a auto blazer?

Should I go ahead and go hydro? I have a mech bellhousing/fork now.

2. steve_kibbe

Nobody? or am I just stupid for asking.......

Don't answer the last question.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha no stupid...yer not stupid hahaha :p:
    Just messin

I never have done what you ask but I would guess a good donor truck you would beable to remove and install..duno if you need a different steering colum or what?
    When I converted to Hydro I used my factory pedals and driled a hole for the Hydro master pushrod to attach to the pedal. I think RB did it like this too.
    Search this fourm for Hydro and you will get tons of info ;)

4. steve_kibbe

I'm going to try to go to the salvage yard this week to have a look see:D

I didn't know if anybody got a hydro setup and adapted it or just retro fitted a "stock" pedal setup.

Thanks for posting Burt:bow: YOU ROCK:saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :thumb:

5. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

steve_kibbe,

I did this swap, from a TH400 to a SM465 in my 1973 Blazer. Here is what I did at a high level.

1) Get tranny, flex plate, shift fork, adapter, clutch plate, etc...

2) There is a big bracket under the steering column which you can either
    a) add a clutch pedal too (I am pretty sure I have an extra clutch pedal)
    b) replace with a bracket that has a clutch pedal

3) make a decision on Hydro or linkage. I have linkage and have had it pop out twice, but know how to fix it, just need to drill a hole and add a spring. Anyway, based on this decision, you will need the rod that goes through the floor, Z-bar, and bracket, or master and slave cyclinders.

Let me know wher eyou are int eh process and I will share as much of what I did as you want to know, down to part numbers and pictures if you want/need them.

6. steve_kibbe

I'm thinking hydro, rather than having to put all the linkage stuff in. Thanks, I'll be sure to have questions:D

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, if I did it again, I would consider hydro, although to be honest there is something reassuring in not having to worry about another stupid resovoir of fluid...

8. steve_kibbe

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't leaked a drop out of my hydro clutch setup and haven't had to top it off in the year i've been driving it.

All you'll need to do is grab the pedal out of a first gen blazer or any 67-72 truck that has a clutch pedal.
    One little 9/16" nut on the passanger side of the bracket will let you remove the through bolt and then slide the pedal out of the sleeve.
    Your auto steering column should have the same sleeve already there just waiting for a pedal to be slipped in and the retaining clip bolted on.. Its cake.

From there i did what Burt 4x4 did and got a late 80's chevy 1 ton hydro master cylinder, and mounted that on the firewall, right about where yukon jack mounted his master cylinder.. Then the end of the pushrod i cut it off, and used a die to thread it for a 1/4-20 or whatever threaded rod end. With this i can adjust pedal height since it was a little higher than i liked.
    From the master i ran some hard brakeline down to the 1980 toyota slave cylinder, and fab'd a bracket to hold it inline with the stock '72 clutch fork.
    The '72 clutch fork is straight and its casted metal. The later styles are curved and stamped steel. those look more difficult to use, and it would push the slave cylinder closer to the engine and exhaust.. making it way harder to fit in there and make it all work.

:thumb: