Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch problems and hydraulic question. please help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncgamedog, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

i have a 78' k5 w/ sm465/205 i am about to begin a 1 ton build ( but that is beside the point). my mech clutch linkage just broke. the arm on the bellcrank that hooks to the rod coming down from the pedal bent over toward the engine and the pedal went to the floor and will no longer return. i bent the arm back up strait but it did not improve a thing!:confused: i could still get it around by forceing it in gear and speed shifting, but i after i messed w/ it now there is a scraping sound when i move it. WTF? so now i'm at a loss. w/o pulling the tranny down to have a look(noone wants to do that many times, heavy!) and if i pull it down i want to put a new clutch in it anyway and probly go hydraulic. sooo what do you guys think? i know there are a lot of parts to buy to change over to factory GM stuff, bell housing ect.. i was thinking Novak makes a slave that will bolt to most bells. has anyone used this b4 w/ good luck? do ya'll think i could just drill a hole in the pedal and attach the push rod of some kind of master to it? (trying not to switch pedal ass.) and if i can find a factory hydro pedal assembly will it work on my early truck that has no firewall provison for such. i need my truck asap! thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide.
    -Justin

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe that advance adapters makes the adapter for the non hydro bellhousing. I used it and it worked okay... I had to redrill the slave cylinder mounts so that the pushrod had the correct angle with the fork. I also used a landcruiser slave cylinder. It sounds like part of your linkage is messed up... just go hydro and enjoy.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ditto on the hydro... first will never go back to automatic... then since I just did my swap... never back to the leg crushin mechanical clutch.... :haha: