Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr. Infinity, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mr. Infinity

Mr. Infinity Registered Member

The Z-bar linkage keeps coming off the pivot ball that is on the block when the truck gets flexed at all. Do they make longer pivot balls? Anybody else have this problem? Any other Ideas? I am thinking about converting to a hydraulic clutch any suggestions?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check your body mounts and tranny and engine mounts. It's supposed to flex a little at the Z-bar but if all the mounts are in good shape it shouldn't fall apart.

Rene

3. Mr. Infinity

The engine mounts are new energy suspension poly mounts, tranny mounts are new, but not poly. The body mounts do show some wear and I intend to replace those soon. If you look at the pivot ball with the Z-bar in place you can see the base of the ball. So it seems that the pivot ball is not going into the Z-bar far enough. Anything else you can think of? By the way thanks for the help.

4. tRustyK5

My pivot ball recently broke. I replaced it with a regular 1/2" bolt/forums/images/icons/blush.gif thinking i'd fix it properly later. It's worked so well I haven't bothered to replace the ball. I'm not 100% sure but isn't there a jam nut between the pivot ball and the bellhousing? Mine's missin obviously or I'd go look at mine. If there is a jam nut you should be able to loosen that and adjust the ball out to where it should be then tighten the jam nut.

Rene

5. Mr. Infinity

Mine does NOT have a jam nut. Maybe that is some of the problem. I thought about spacing it out with something, but I am not sure how much thread I have to work with. If I get home early enough tonight I will pull it out to see if I can put a nut under it. Does anybody have a exploded picture of the assembly?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

go hydro
    there are pics of doing the old style cabs on here so no reason not to anymore

7. tRustyK5

Seeing MJ post just reminded me I had a spare 465 bellhousing in my storage room. It does not have a jam nut behind the ball stud either.
    From the machined boss on the side of the bell to the outer most part of the ball stud is 1.75" (for comparison..)

I agree with MJ, go hydro. I'm currently collecting the parts to do exactly that.

Rene

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I just finished my Hydro. I finished converting my friends '72 into Hydro too.

Hopefully, I will be driving it tonight. It needs a new bend in the exhaust because of the doubler.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks M_J! Thank you for all your patience!

If you don't go hydro, look into converting your rods into Heim joints.

Good luck.

9. Mr. Infinity

What year vehicles should I look for to get the donor parts? I have been thinking about it for a while, so with the bonus I get next week i think I will find the parts.
    The firewall here at work wouldn't let me check out your pics, any chance you could send them to me?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'85 up 465's have the hydraulic setup. Fairly hard to find, for some reason people started getting lazy and preferred weaker automatic trannies, and it only got worse the newer the trucks got. : (