Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 14, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I am going to install a new clutch in my blazer, I have 11" flywheel and it is for a 400 SBC(383) I have a 1986 Blazer so my 465 is a 10 spline according to Advance auto's now my question would be how do I order the new clutch parts?? If I order the Clutch kit for a 1979 K5 it will cover the 400sbc but the SM465 spline setup will be different anyone had this problem and know were to order a good clutch kit???

2. CaveBlazin

Anyone out there have a 383 and a mid 80's truck with the SM465???

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I don't believe they changed the spline count on the input of 465s. Should still be 10 spline.

My friend has an '88 Suburban with an SM465, and he used the same clutch that I used with my older stuff.

I would think you should have a 12" clutch/flywheel setup. The motor size doesn't matter too much when ordering the clutch... that mainly matters for getting the right flywheel. I have the same 10-spline disc 12" clutch behind a 350, SB400, BB396 and 454s.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I like luk clutches, www.dialaclutch.com is a good source for those. If you want something a bit better, use a centerforce II (available at jegs, summit etc).
    The SM465's all had 10 count 1-1/8 splines, regardless of year, to the best of my knowledge. You shouldn't have any problem using any kit from 69-91 for the sm465 mated to any motor.
    Whatever you do, DO have the flywheel resurfaced, and DO NOT get a remanufactured clutch from anywhere (that's what most parts stores sell)

5. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

DEFINITLY re-surface your flywheel, but make sure the shop that does it let's you know how many Thousanth's they took off, sometime's if you take material off and don't use a flywheel shim between the flywheel and crankshaft you'll have trouble maintaining and/or getting the proper clutch adjustment.
    You can buy those shim's in assorted thickness's

Actually, most good parts store's like NAPA sell new clutch's and can only get re-manned one's if you ask for em'

The 400 flywheel you have will accept either a 11" or a 12" clutch, and other then the flywheel balancing itself everything else about your clutch setup will be the same as any Chevy 350/305/283/ Big block(i think) /etc....

I just put a new NAPA clutch in my 74' K20 and i've been very happy with it. Which suprised me because i almost bought a Centerforce since i had such bad experiance's with the diaphragm style clutch's i had run in the past.
    Just make sure you get the 3 Finger lever style clutch,
    because, as the guy at the store assured me;
    they are stronger, hold better and so far have taken the abuse of my Stock 350ci against 37' rubber with a very heavy throttle foot and a belief in using the highest gear the engine will pull for max. wheel speed.
    The drawback of the lever clutch is that it WILL have a heavier clutch pedal then the diapraghm style ( but it's not real bad, we're not talking Mack truck heavy here),
    If you absolutly want the softest clutch pedal effort you can get, you need to go with at least The Centerforce serie's of diaphragm clutchs, all the stock style diaphragm clutch's i have used have all sucked in Offroad situation's.

If your interested in the NAPA clutch i used, i just found the part# in my record's
    It's Line code is:
    NNC
    & part#:
    MU1862-1
    This set will include a;
    Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing (and a pilot bearing i believe you will just throw away since it's for the newer 1 pc main seal engine's) and a plastic clutch centering tool

all that should cost less then 150 dollar's for the whole set
    Good luck man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Ca5505 is a 12" pressure plate assembly for a 454, it is 10 spline and is correct balance for 400 and 454 engines,

75-80 was only years for 400 in trucks, 454 is same deal, and all are 10 spline anyways,

so get 12" stuff for a 70-80 400 or a 70s 80s 454 before 86,

i dont know if 11" even was available on 400 and 454 engines, i think all or most all were 11 7/8"

so,,.

7. CaveBlazin

I already have the flywheel its brand new and just got back from the Machine shop from getting balanced. All I need now is the throwout bearing, clutch disc and bearings...

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think you should have a 12" clutch/flywheel setup

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with going with the 12" flywheel and clutch set up. 12" is the best way to go with the SM465.