Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch questions. Mechanical, 84 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

When I back up, as I let up off the clutch the truck shakes but I can still back up. It kind of fights me. The clutch is new. The shop says, it's adjusted correctly, but I don't know. Here in korea, every shop is an expert! But not on American vehicles!
    When I let up off the clutch, the pedal is almost to the top before the truck moves. When I step on the clutch, I have about two inches of free play before it gets hard. Wrong adjustment? Suggestions? Again, mechanical clutch, 3 speed. Thanks!

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Has the truck always been a stick shift or is this a new set up? I've seen clutch chatter caused by both installing a new clutch without having the flywheel resurfaced (leaving "hot spots" on the flywheel face causing "sticky" engagement) or the truck being under geared for the tires on it.

I'm sure there are more reasons, just my .02

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Did he use a NEW clutch or a New remanufactured clutch. The reman's are junk, I've had two blow up only a few hundred miles later, one was acting a bit as you describe. (Then I got older, and a real job and bought NEW clutches, mail order, luk, centerforce are ones I've never had trouble with and would recommend.)
    Coule be he didn't resurface the flywheel, or the flywheel needs replaced due to hotspots. Or could be the adjustment. You should have equal freeplay top and bottom. I don't believe your year had a hydralic slave cylinder, so adjustment is possible just by cranking a couple of nuts on the adjuster, which is on the driver side of the trans, poking into the clutch fork from the front.
    Sorry, but the only way to tell if it's the flywheel is to look at it, so the trans needs to come out...

BlazerMan