Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch replacement/fix cost estamate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Sep 1, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

So it looks like my clutch is fried. I dont know much about this part, never had to deal with before. How many hours should it take for a real mechanic to do it? A centerforce dual friction was recomended but very$$$ What are options in replacements? what advantages will these more exspesinve ones have over a stock?

2. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I burnt my clutch about a year ago in mud. I decided to replace it myself so i could save some money. I got a Borg & Beck, cost about $300. Lukk, Centerforce and Borg & Beck are what I was recommended, what ever fits your budget & reqiurements is up to you. Not an expert on different types thou. It took me about 7 hrs, spread over a couple days. But I did go through with a toothbrush and give everthing a good cleaning, and flush and fill. It's not really that complicated, and u save a lot of $$. I can give you more info if you want it.
    Jake

3. silver

silver Registered Member

i got a luke 12.5" installed and machined the flywheel... labor and parts for 550$ i had to take it back and have them set the engine back up but it was cheap.

Grant

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Last clutch I R&R'd took about 5 hours...The majority of the time, about 4 hours, is spent removing the tranny and t-case and putting it back in...Of course, you should have youi flywheel machined and that take the travel and wait time at at a machine shop...I have a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and love it...It is a little touchy but it has tremendous holding poweer and a light pedal feel...If you are on a budget, get a LUK Heavy Duty it is around $115 or so at NAPA last time I checked for the pressure plate and disc...LUK actually make the centerforce pressure plates...As always, a new TO bearing and pilot bushing are HIGHLY recommended...If you can rent/borrow/beg/steal a tranny jack to remove the behemouth of a tranny, do it yourself and save the $$$ a shop would charge you..You should be able to get a new clutch, TO bearing, pilot bushing and alignment tool for under $200..Of course a Centerforce DF clutch is about $280 and the TO is like $40... Good Luck...

Chris