Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clutch size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zenlh, Apr 27, 2004.

1. zenlh

zenlh Registered Member

I am installing 350 in 85 k5 to replace broken 305, but ran into a problem when it came to buying new clutch. centerforce lists a 11 inch for a 305 but a 12 inch for the 350. Which do i use? Will the 12 inch work? I have manual trans with np208. Why is there a difference?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If the flywheel is freashly turned or new you can pick one. If you are not having the flywheel turned(wich you should) then you must stick with the same size disk.
    Good Luck

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think a lot of the difference is how manufacturers decide to call the clutches....You hear everything from 12" to 10", and everything in between, but I *think* there were only two, and that was differentiated by ring gear count..the small one is 153, and the large one is 168. Starter offset and bellhousings are different between those two as well.

I could be wrong, but I believe all V8 trucks got the big clutch, and only the I6's got the small ones. That info is contained in some of the dealer brochures...can't recall the URL to that page though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

from what I saw in the books when I was doing my swap it was either 11" for the 305 or 12" for the 350. I turned my flywheel and I'm running the 12" with a stock 305 flywheel, no interference either.

I picked the 12" cause there is more contact surface.

5. zenlh

zenlh Registered Member

I wanted to go with the 12 inch too. So I'll turn my flywheel and go with it. Thanks for the input guys.