Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch Slipping??.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Ok today when i was driving i was going 35 and i need to pass somebody so i gave it a little gas and i noticed my engine reved up and i did not go any faster then maybe a couple of seconds with my foot on the pedal it must of catched up or something because then i had my power but then i smelt this awfull smell which was probally the clutch. Is my clutch going bad? my trucks an 78 sm465/205. thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the clutch slipping is of course bad : ) I don't know everything about their operation yet, but I believe there is no adjustment for clutch slipping...spring pressure forces it forward, if enough material is removed, it won't engage as fully as it should...how long ago was the clutch changed out? Better to do it now, if its needed, than later on when the flywheel gets destroyed, and you have to have it re-surfaced.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i hate to say it but yes it sounds like your clutch is on the way out

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Slipping followed by a strong smell usually means a bad clutch. I recomend the Centerforce II. I have it on my truck, the pedal is a little softer than stock and it holds very well.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Does your pedal have and loose space at the top before you meet resistance to pushing it in. You should have 1/2 inch free play if the pedal is tight to the top you might could adjust the rod at the clutch arm. It is under the truck on the drivers side. Loosen the jamb nut and try turning it clockwise as viewed from the rear of the truck. It might buy you a few weeks, but sometime soon you will be changing the clutch. I went with a 12 inch instead of the factory 11 inch and mine locks up tight with no slipping and the pedal is even easier to push

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken