Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch stuff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 21, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My SM465 is squeaking like a mofo and I need some help. I've owned the truck long enough and worked on it enough that I can tell pretty easily where the noise is coming from. Before, all I had to do was spray some silicone lube on it and it was fine for another 6 months. Problem is now, the noise is coming from inside the bellhousing part...and I'm afraid to start shooting silicone all over the place in there. Anyway to fix this...easily? Its always made SOME noise, but its gotten pretty loud the last couple of months. TIA

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

your clutch pedal should have about 1" to 1 1/2" of travel (freeplay) before it contacts the throwout bearing, if it doesn't, the throwout bearing may be turning all the time and squeaking, if you correct the adjustment it may quiet down.
    if you have the freeplay and it only squeaks when you push on the clutch pedal the throwout bearing is running dry and will probably have to be replaced to quiet it down.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK cool. That makes sense. Its adjusted just like you say with the about 1.5 inches of freeplay......its only when I push down on it. Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad