Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clutch time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Sep 24, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

found out today that the grinding sound when ever i start out is my throw out bearing, time to do da clutch, my truck has the muncie SM-465 tranny, with the np208 transfercase, im gunna try to do it this weekend, im gunna drive it nicely for the rest of the week and try to do it this weekend, ive never done this before, any tips from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

get a haynes manual and get a friend. I did mine by myself and had hell having only two hands. Overall not too bad though. much cheaper than putting it in a shop.

Oh yeah gut your flooring and removing both seats can make it easier as well.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Did it in our driveway. If you can get extra hands to help, do it. You'll want to remove the cover inside your cab, that's around your shifter. I didn't pull the tranny all the way out, I used a rope and just held it up in place while moving it back. Good Luck!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 87sm465np208

well thanks guys, im gunna try to get it done this weekend, i hope, i will not pull the tranny all the way out, i think im just gunna pull the input shaft out of the bel houseing, and remove everything and see if the flywehel has to be machined, and if it does, then take that off and machine it, but yea im gunna get a good clutch for it so it will take the abuse i put into it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and i hope to have my dad there because im 17 and this will be my first time ever doing a clutch on somthing with 4 wheels and 4 wheel drive. and i hope to aquire a trans jack somehow, but i dunno.

5. 87sm465np208

ok heres the deal, im running a stock 87 350 tbi, sm465, np208, 2 ten bolts and 3.73's, and 33x12.50 tires, im looking at luk clutches, stock ones and they are 118$ which sounds good to me since i dont race or rock crawl all i do is around town and the occational roudy sissy mud bog, do you guys know the prices of hays clutches, oh yea and centerforce is out of the question.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The Hay's clutches are about the same price range as centerforce.

7. 87sm465np208

yea well thats kinda a bummer, i got a number from my friends uncle who is co-owner of a very very popular repair shop in this area beard auto repair in downers grove on ogden avenue, between main and belmont, he told me to call this place that specializes in clutchs and stuff, they want 145$ for a clutch set, i find that to be a good price and i can have my flywheel macheind there too for 30$ so i gots me some cash to spend on this project, so im gunna do it, and ive heard from some guys that its bad if the clutch just grabs and jerks you, you want somthing with slightly less clamping power so you dont break u-joints and such, so im gunna go there if im lucky it will be done by tuesday if i start friday or saturday night, because i will have the guy machine the fly wheel on site, but im not sure if they are open on sunday, maybe i will find that out, well thanks ya'll /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ill tell ya's how it turns out

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if it is just the throw our beaRING making noise then replace that.i had the same thing happen and i only had to replace that cause the cluth plate still had 1/2 of the material left. ive still had the same clutch 2 years later and now i have to replace it.but if the clutch looks bad also whern you change it just replace while you have it apart.