Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutch went pop tonite, what should I expect?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueBlazer, May 14, 2002.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the road tonite, went to shift and when I pushed on the clutch pedal it made a pop (not loud, but loud enough for me to hear it over the engine) and the clutch pedal lost tension til about halfway to the floor. When I touch the pedal it pulsates with engine speed. It is also very hard to shift gears and get into gear from a stop. The clutch is a NAPA unit that I installed about a year and a half ago and I put a new throwout bearing and clutch fork on at the same time. Also, its a diaphragm type pressure plate if that makes a difference. I wont have time to take it apart till Saturday, so I know Ill find the problem then, but I wanted to know what to expect or what the problem might be. Thanks in advance!
    Tyler

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe it went over center.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check the pivot ball assembly on the side of the bellhousing...mine broke recently and I had to 'McGuyver' it on the side of the road with a 1/2" bolt./forums/images/icons/blush.gif Which reminds me i need to fix that properly.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds exactly what mine did. Remember Mudstock? Part of the Presure Plate collaped. The springs inside broke or something. Mine was a Borg and Beck style. With the pulsating pedal syndrome, your throwout bearing is cocked because of the collapsed spring. This sends all the vibration through the manual linkage. Does Napa warranty their parts? Buy it from O'Reiley or AutoZone, they have lifetime warranty. Cant beat it!

Too bad I just sold my clutch stuff, or I could have helped you out. Talk to you later.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to me about 2 yrs ago---put a Helicoil in it and havn't has a problem sice **Knock on wood**

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Was your Napa Unit a Reman or a new unit? I've had two re-mans blow out only a few thousand miles after install. Then some kind person told me to stop buying those remans at the local parts store and just get a quality NEW clutch from an aftermarket place. The last four clutches I've installed (K5, Dodge spirit, chevy p/u, dodge neon) have been Centerforce NEW clutches. They are all still in service today with no problems. Luke also makes a decent new clutch, I put one of those in my diesel pickup. Centerforce II is an excellent clutch kit. Luke mostly supplies OEM clutches for the Auto Companies. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction in my K5, it's a good clutch too, although I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for me, it acts and feels just like the centerforce II.
    A 12" centerforce II goes for about $250 while a dual friction goes about $320.
    The 12" Luke I bought cost $190.
    I'd stay away from Zoom, no personal expierance, but a couple of guys I know have had a few issues with them.

In General:
    Always buy a Clutch Kit, which will include at a minimum a pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing.
    Never ever ever buy a remanufactuerd clutch or clutch kit. With all the labor invovled in replacing a clutch, just pay the few extra bucks for a NEW one.

BlazerMan

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

OK guys, thanks for the replies. I looked at my reciept and I actually bought it at Advance Auto Parts ( its one of the only things I havent bought at NAPA). Anyway, it was brand new clutch, pressure plate, and TO bearing and has a lifetime warranty. It is a diaphragm type, so I dont think its the pressure plate unless a bunch of the fingers broke at once ( in which case it would have made a lot more racket). Also, its not the fork coming off the ball, thats the first thing I checked when it happened. Im thinking TO bearing or maybe a pilot bearing (since I didnt install a new one when I installed the clutch). Its coming down tomorrow night so I guess we'll see then. BTW, whats "over center" mean. I assume you mean the pressure plate fingers went the other way, but I dont think this is possible unless you have a Borg and Beck type. Thanks for the offer Neil, but if something is messed up, they said they will warranty it. Later
    Tyler

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you have to much travel, not enough freeplay, you push the fingers past the center point on a diaphragm clutch. And either bend them or have them stay down. Also have you checked the rest of the linkage? I always had trouble with the bellcrank arm in the '69 mustang I had. Got good at starting the motor in gear and shifting without a clutch in that car.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Junk the clutch and go Auto....

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, Todd has a perfectly good TH400/NP203 and NP205 he will GIVE you for your doubler project! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

By the way, cant wait to get started. Just need more funds!