Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clutch ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 13, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey what size clutch and flywheel junk should I buy? I've heard Hays makes a good one, but I don't know PN's or size or anything like that? What do you suggest? If I can get away with something cheap that would be great. Tell me where you scored your deal.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cheep and Cluch I would not do!

I would take the time to save up the cash to get a good cluch/pressure plate. Unless you don't need it to last long or perform well.
    I used CenterForce II cluch kit in my SM465 tranny. I put this cluch kit in back in 94ish and I haven't even had to adjust it sence!! Very soft pedal feel and it hooks up great!!
    Good Luck

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well I don't mean like Advanced Auto cheap, but a reasonably priced flywheel and clutch. I found a Centerforce clutch from Summit, P# CTF-383735, but I don't know if it will fit. The description sounds like it will, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to straight-drives. Also, should I go with a 10, 11, or 12" flywheel and all that junk? Just tell me what I need. And I'm not paying 280 bucks for a flywheel from GM. The flywheel has to be for a one-piece rear main, so like 87 up to I think 92 will work.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I belive my 72 is useing 11". I just had my flywheel reserface or turned when I replace the cluch kit. That was only like 30 or 40bucks. As long as all your teeth are good and enough metal is still on it should beable to reuse your current flywheel.
    Good Luck

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

See that's the thing. I don't have one. Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm converting from auto to manual. But the clutch parts are for a 78 or 79 465 mech. clutch. All this is going behind my 90 350 with the one piece rear main, so I can't use one from an 86 or down engine. If it was that easy, I'd have it done.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh I see!
    Well, I guess you could go anysize you want. being a truck I wouldn't go smaller than 11", duno if the 12"er is any better or what?
    Sorry, good luck on your project!
    Burt

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

Thanks, I think I found what I need? HAHA! Looks like I'm going with a Hays flywheel and some sort of clutch/pressure plate. I can't decide on what kind though.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

They 'style' I would stay away from are the old 3 prong pressure plates. Thoes suckers make your peadel pressure WAY hard. The Centerforce pressure plate has like 10 lil prongs and balanceing weights so when you depress the pedal is is nice and smooth adn 'light'.
    I vote you go CeterForceII not the 90% DualFriction one but the 60% one. Dualfriction is for cars like a souped up camaro or something.
    my .02c

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I went with the GM factory 168 tooth flywheel on my 87 Blazer w/ a 350 TBI and I installed the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...I love it...It has a very light pedal feel for how much holding pressure it has...It is a little on the touchy side, meaning it takes a while to get used to it and how you can slip it a little bit...But It is great...I think it was $280 from Jegs I believe, or was it Summit, Can't remember...

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

So it looks like the Hays 30lb. flywheel and a centerforce. Any more input?