Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by win717, Feb 6, 2004.

1. win717

win717 Registered Member

I posted this question before but I found a couple things out...I can't shift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd I can upshirt with no problems..I tried to adjust theclutch rod adjustment I had to adjust it the whole way out so the clutch pedel starts to engage bout even with the brake pedal not sure why I have to adust the rod the whole way out..even after I did that i still can't down shift..If I rev it up and keep trying sometimes it will pop in gear but most times it won't..Some people say that the snyc. are going out..can it be anything else?not sure what a worn clutch/pressure plate would do..and one last thing the tranny has a rattle when the clutch is disengaed I was told that most likely its a throw out bearing

2. win717

win717 Registered Member

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like it could be a damaged pressure plate, which could explain the rattle too. I'd suspect it's only partially releasing, and just hanging enough to mess up the shifting for you.

How old is the clutch?

Rene

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the life of owning an old, worn out sm465 tranny. Chances are the syncronizer rings have seen their better days. You could do a tranny fluid change and out some lighter, synthetic gear lube in there and it may help (it did on my Jeep's AX15 tranny). The 465 that I have in my blazer has been riden hard and hung up wet since 1972, with a documented 450,000 miles on it. I need to rev match the engine speed to speed of the gears in the tranny to downshift most of the time, esp when cold...The 465 main gear and counter gear clusters ARE HEAVY and if your syncronizers are worn, they just can't get them up to speed...Next time it is really cold, start off in granny gear and shift FAST to 2nd and let me know what happens. Even a worn tranny can be upshifted with realative ease b/c as you upshft, the input side of the gear clusters are slowing down naturally. If you time it right, you don't even need to use the clutch...Hell, I only use my clutch to get started on the street...then I just row the gears by matching the speed of the tranny to the speed of the engine for both up shifter and downshifting...

Chris