Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clutches

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Jun 23, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

What kind of clutch are you manual guys running? Is it a 11 inch or 12 inch? Any suggestions on what kind to get or not to get? Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Evan

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

11 inch Centeforce. Good clutch if you have a strong driveline.

John

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ditto ~ CenterForce2, great cluch very smooth and light peadeal feel. 100% better than the old 3fork deal I took out of there!!

4. aksidentproan

I know I want a centerforce 2 or dual friction sense I'll be towing alot and the 3 speed has a high first gear. I just need to know weather its diaphram(any other type?), 11 or 12 inch etc. Thanks for the input.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

well i think it is diaphram and 11" but I put the cluch in back in 95ish so I can't remember for sure!
    Good Luck

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The cluch in there now could be a Borg and Beck or a diaphram. It also could be a 11" or a 12" disc. Pull the inspection cover and look inside the bellhousing. You should be able to see what kind of clutch you have. Then the ? will be what size. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Trucks (including Blazers) with V8s were supposed to have come with 12" clutches. I'm running a 12" Centerforce II. FWIW, the Centerforce II I am running in my Blazer has less pedal effort than the old clutch that was in there when I bought the thing. It also takes more hard bashing to make it slip (i.e. I made the other clutch slip a few times but have yet to make the Centerforce slip). The CF Dual-Friction clutch has significantly more pedal effort than the CF II and more clamping power.

You can easily tell the 12" clutch visually from the 11" clutch because the friction disc gets awfully close to the heads of the clutch cover bolts on the 12" clutch.

8. aksidentproan

Is one style better then the other? If I have one type(diaphram or borg and beck), can I use the other or must I stay with the same kind that was in there. Should I use a 11 or 12 inch or do I have to go with the same size that I already have. Sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I get the right clutch.

9. aksidentproan

When I say style I mean diaphram or borg and beck.

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There are some that say that one type is better than the other. I have my own preferences, but the only good reason that I can find to run one type over another is bellhousing clearance (some early '60s GM cars had iron bellhousings that didn't clear modern diaphragm type clutch covers). This is not the case with the Blazers and trucks. Run what you prefer.

Oh, FWIW, there's some myth that the Borg & Beck type and Long type clutches handle high RPM better than diaphragm clutches. This is a total fallacy. A properly-built diaphragm type clutch works just fine at high speeds. I ran a Centerforce past 10K RPM in a 4-banger and it worked flawlessly.