Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C'mon brag, show me your pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Aug 3, 2003.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

C\'mon brag, show me your pics

I want to see pictures of you M.O.O. shock relocation kit. Did you weld tabs onto your axle, or use the bolt on kit?

Did you weld or bolt in the crossmember?

What did you do with all the fuel lines, or does it all clear with some tweaking?

What difference did this set up make?

Would you do it again?

T.I.A. Kelly

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: C\'mon brag, show me your pics

Muddysub, I saw your pics, you used the Howlin O R kit?
    What would you do different if you had to do it again?
    That kit looks like the fuel lines won't be a problem.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah id like to see some of these setups too...come on guys

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Here is what i did, the bottom tabs are 1/4 flat bar 2"s wide, i tacked it into place then heated them up with a torch, beat them along the axle then welded up the edges, the top is 1/4, 2" angle iron bolted to the top of the frame, i have a body lift though. Its real simple and has yet to give me any problems

5. Confedneck

what, about 30 bucks in supplies and how much time? how well does it work?

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did you make the upper mount too? Any real differences from the stock set up?

I saw that 55Willy has/makes these, anyone have any experiance with his?

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What does having your shocks like that do? Is it better than the factory set up? Sorry, not trying to hijack the post, just trying to learn. Thanks!

Kris

8. Confedneck

mounts like that will allow longer travel shocks and better articulation whilst keeping the shocks from being the limiting factor in your suspensions travel which would be bad..

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Ok, that makes sense. I figured there was a good reason for it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Is a setup like this for rocks, or mud and trails too? Thanks again!

Kris

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yea it was pretty cheap because we have a metal shop on base the per foot prices are low, the most expensive thing was the grade 8 bolts to bolt the cross member to the frame, i forgot what size they are but they barley fit because i wanted the biggest possible

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

nope fuel lines are no problem nothing is in the way except for exhaust, i had to cut it off and weld in a turndown at the axle. if i could change anything id drill more holes in the upper mount so i could stand the shocks up a little more because my shocks are too short. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have the howlin off road kit.it works pretty well.make sore you give him a measurement from the bottom frame rail to the bottom of the body.the first one i had him make didnt fit beacause he had made it from a second gen blazer and i have a first gen.i gave him the measurements and he remade it for me and now it works perfect.it has about the same shock dampening as the stock setup but it lets the axle compress more and since the shocks are strait over the axle when bolted to the crossmember it doesnt bind at all.it also has universal mount holes so you can control the amount of dampening the shock does.the flatter the shock is the less dampening effect it has.but also the it has a shorter amount of travel the flatter you mount them,unless you get longer shocks.i run 4 inch lift rancho 5000's and they work good.hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i have a MOO shock kit i just removed, do ya wanna but it?

i used the bolt on braket on the axles and it worked great. and for the uppper mount i bolted that on to. the only issue with the upper mount is the fuel lines. they will have to modifed to fit around the cross member. i went to auto zone and bought some new fuel lines and bent them to fit.

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

All good info, now if he will get back with me....

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Here I be,LOL.

I'v got probably close to 20 or so of these out there. it all depends on your style of lift. If ya have blocks in the rear these will do very little in helping with control of that.

Scott(muddysub) has the best pics of my set up on his burb. Grant(seventyfourblazer) has a few pics of it too. Fred(derf00) had posted a few pics of his on his son Matt's(bullit) blazer. Fred was the one who had the problem with welding the moutn in, it tore the hell outof the frame and went with some reenforcements. Others have went and drilled them out for bolts, Which seams to be the best way, gives ya a more do it yourself approach (not everyone has a welder) plus you can change it later on.

For a tow rig I would think about angling both the shcoks forward, no binding when flexxxd and allows more axle contol then pointing them straight over the axle. You gain a little bid of wrap contol by getting leverage on the axle. I wish my new set up was in the wagon so I could show ya.. the reason I did was since i am running the fords I need to help them out the best I can. It also depends on the rig, burbs may notice them more if they are set up over the axle, more weight to try an control. But the wheel bas difference will probably help that out, such as putting in a flip on the burb. (not as bad as think since the wheel base helps)

In fact I'm trying to get a simple bolt in multi piece kit to allow the shocks to be mounted anywhere they want, forward or straight above the axle.

-Jeremy

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I volunteer to be a test-vehicle for you....What are you going to be doing with your 'Burb????

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my burb will be getting a new set of springs in the rear to get rid of the twisted ones and then do a shackle flip with air bags for towing.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

TTT, there are more opinions out there....

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's been covered before, but bringing the rear shocks together above the axle like that has some serious drawbacks....

1. You lose 30% of the shocks effective damping &
    2. You gain lots of body roll

I don't want to make it sound terrible, certainly plenty of people use it and like that setup, but there ARE reasons why it isn't always done like that. If you already own the MOO kit, I'd suggest coming up with a way to keep the shocks as VERTICAL as possible to help reduce the problems indicated above.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I saw your pics, and agree with the conversation you had with Beast388....Now to crawl back under there and make a final decision....