Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CMOS battery change

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Dec 24, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I need to change the CMOS battery in my desktop dinosaur. AMD K2 350MHz on a PC100 mobo. (Socket 7 SystemBoard, model M598 if the booklet can be trusted) The documentation I have says nothing about changing the battery. Do I need to do this while the 'puter is running? I think so, but I'm not sure.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You can change the engine on a 53 but you can't change an itsy bitsy battery

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not many (any?) fairly modern PC's have a user-servicable CMOS battery, as the CMOS info is stored in non-volatile memory. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Are you losing all the CMOS settings, or just the correct date and time? If the latter, look for a rectangular black module, that's maybe 1.5L x 1W x 0.5H (inches), on the motherboard. Most of them say Dallas Semiconductor and have a picture of a clock on the top. The system clock and the battery for it are sealed inside that real time clock chip. Replace that (typically requires breaking out the soldering iron) and you should be good for another few years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

All I can tell ya is that when ever changing a battery related to any of the memory, you don't have to have it running but it must be plugged in. Don't turn it on though. ALso ground some part of your body (wrist) to a good ground while working in there around those chips. That way static electricity won't hurt anything.

With it plugged in the mother board still gets juice to the memory. Even though the puter is turned off...

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Stickseler - Ha ha, funny funny. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm fully capable of changing that itsy bitsy battery, I'd just like to do it correctly and not F anything up... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harry H3 - The mobo does, in fact, have a CMOS battery. It's a CR2023 (IIRC) in the little round plastic mount, with "CMOS Battery" printed right on the board next to the holder. The date & time had been slipping while shut down for about a year, and the last time I booted it up, I got a screen saying "CMOS BATTERY LOW" and I had to re-set all the CMOS settings. Thank God for auto-detect; I hadn't written any of the settings down... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Landsmasher - I've got a static strap for my wrist to avoid ESD.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

OH! I almost forgot. Wear a condom so you don't get a virus.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That sucker IS really old. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just uplug tower power cord and change it and then reboto you will probably need to enter BIOS setup at bootup and put in correct time and date, boot order, yadda yadda

in 5 or 10 minutes you will be done, it is easier to do than pulling a steering wheel off a column or removing a pulley

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Unplug the unit- most of those newer motherboards (Including yours) have auto power on features- you dont want the machine turning itself on in the middle after you erase the bios.

Dont worry too much about it- Take the old battery, get a new one of the same size, shove it in. The computer isnt that old, it will detect its own hardware and just save it itself- if its a phoenix/AMD bios, it may prompt you with a screen, which then you can just save and exit.