Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CO-Carburetor Tuning Shop

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Nov 9, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone used a shop to have their Q-jet, or any other carb for that matter, tuned?

I was looking at the yellowpages and saw EPS Inc-Chip & Walt Hane. Apparently they use a chasis dyno to tune carbs.

There was also Vern's Carburetor Service that specializes in GM carbs.

I was looking at Dyno Pro's website and saw a lot of cars tuned by Golden West Performance.

Anyone have experience with any of these? Or any other place.

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Vern's is great , but they only do bench work. most inexpensive way imo...

The carbureator shop is great. Ask for Jay tell him you know Toby he will treat you right. He has Milehigh dyno in his shop. He actually owns them both, same building. This will cost you a few pennies....

Might want to consider an EFI swap if you got the dough for the second 1. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

the carb shop is the place i mentioned over the weekend. $500.00 is what they quoted me for a dyno tune. Needless to say, I have some carb work to do, but I will play with it before I bring it in. let me know if it is worth it.

i wish I was going to be arround to wheel in GJ, but I will be heading to Cabo- check out wideopencabo.com

4. mrk5

Thanks Toby. That was exactly the info I was looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Alex, my dialup at home didn't like that site. Is that the race your brother is in?

$500 seems like alot. I was hoping for somewhere around $150. Like Toby said, I might consider doing a FI swap for that.

There's a place in California that will build a Q-jet to your engine's specifications for $320. They take all the variable into account: motor setup, vehicle weight, altitude, tire size, gear ratio, primary use of the vehicle.....and much more. There's an entire page of info to fill out.

If I can't get my current carb dialed in to my liking, I'm going to go that route or talk to Vern's.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might try Slatten's in North Fort Collins. They are a pretty good shop from what I have heard and seen. I was in there and they seem to know there stuff pretty well. They are a bunch of drag racers in that shop that basically do mechanic work to support there racing habit.

They do machine work and stuff also. When I was in there they had 4 sets of heads sitting on the counter that they had just finished porting and stuff. The guy told me there was roughly $30,000 in cylinder heads sitting on that bench.

They are pretty serious about there drag race habit and seemed to know there sh*t pretty good.

Harley

6. mrk5

I actually ended up getting a local old time hot rod guy to tune the carb for me. Turns out the one I had was no good. Someone had broken a part and tried to replace it with a regular screw.

Runs good. Although with my recent burglary problem I haven't had a chance to trail test it.