Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CO Crew: Holy Cross Sep 10

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Okay, guys how about Sep 10 for Holy Cross? That's a Sunday so we can avoid the huge back-up at French Creek.

I'm really excited about running this trail again since last year I only made it just past French Creek.

I'd like to get an early start, so I think I'll plan to leave Ault at 5AM. That should get me to the trailhead around 8AM.

I tried to talk Nicole into camping that weekend, but she's not eager to with the baby coming so soon. Anybody interested in camping, Mark and Rich had a great spot right off FR703 near the trailhead last year.

Here's the trip report from last year: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146766

Trail info:
    traildamage.com
    4x4trails.net

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Where is this trail? That will factor in big time to whether I can come or not, because at 5MPG on Premium I need to have $$$ just to get there.

3. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

These are the directions from TrailDamage.com.

"Take I-70 to exit 171 marked U.S. 24. Just after the Hornsilver Campground turn right on 703. You will see signs to Blodgett Campground and Homestake Reservoir. The trail is about 9 miles down 703 on the right marked FS 759. It is just past the Gold Park Forest Service Campground."

The closest town, I think, is Minturn, maybe Leadville, but you take I-70 past Vail to Hwy 24 and then go south. Mapquest has it (Minturn) about 136 miles from Longmont and the trail head is beyond Minturn a few miles. Probably about 150 miles to the trail.

Just doing some rough calculations in my head I understand your concern. Yikes! :eek1:

4. mrk5

I thought I was hurtin' with 10mpg. I found a co-pilot to split fuel costs.

I would say you're looking at 290-miles round trip. 380-miles for me.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's about $90 in gas each way, plus gas on the objective. And any parts I break. I think that's a little bit out of the question right now for me. I have some upgrades I want to make, and that money would be better spent there then on gas at the moment. I really appreciate the invite though, keep me in mind next time, or if you go on some more local trails sometime soon.

6. mrk5

You need to swap in a 305 in place of that 454. :haha:

MPG is why I'm eager to swap in a new torque converter and TBI. :crazy:

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It's mostly due to those huge Boggers. I used to get about 9MPG with 35" Dunlop Rovers. The 454 doesn't help (but sure is fun) and coming from Ohio, you need all the HP you can get to spin those meats in the mud. Eventually I'll get a FI system for it which will probably help some.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looks like I'll be riding with you Scott. Please clean the seat and floor on the passeneger side in anticipation of my glory. :D

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I plan on being there :D

10. mrk5

This'll be your second run up Holy Cross this year, won't it? You ran it right before the Carnage run we did together IIRC.

You'll be our resident trail expert. :deal: :haha:

Maybe this trail run, I'll have more of a chance to chat with ya.

11. mrk5

Why should I bother, I'll just have to clean it again after you soil yourself freaking out about the HUGE rocks. Or is that the "glory" you speaking of. :confused:

I'll be sure to bring you a little broom so you can keep the floor swept clean. :wink1:

We'll have to take time for some filming lessons before the trail, too. :tongue1:

Okay, enough bashing, I'd be happy to have you along. I'll make sure to top off the gas tank so there are no "no start" issues. :whistle:

12. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

I am planning on going also. My dad is really stoked about going up there and doing some more fishing. I think that I am just going to use a handyman to push up my roof to a point were I dont hit may head on it all day.:D

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Once again, I'd love to join you guys on this one but since I just got back from FL. last night and have work booked into Nov., I don't see it happening.
    As it is, I'll be lucky to make Blazer Bash!
    I might be out for the season at this rate. Too much work up here.
    Have a great time though you lucky guys and come up with some cool video's
    again Scott!

14. mrk5

Maybe I need to move to Frisco and learn the plumbing trade. :thinking: Put those things I learned in the Navy to use. Don't know how much steam piping you deal with, though.

15. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Sorry Scott I will have to miss this trip as much as I would love to go. Funds are just a little tight right now due to work being slow. Plus I need to get 6 new tires for the F350:crazy:

16. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Ummmm, yea, I think we all know why I can't go :doah:

17. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, but that was the first time I had ever run the trail. I really enjoyed it and would like to make the 4 obstacles above the city (9+). It was raining really hard, I was getting on the truck pretty hard and right as the truck was finally climbing the clutch linkage fell out (meaning the entire drivetrain had torqued over 2+"!!!) I got off the throttle and winched up. Both my motor mounts and transmission mounts are new (rubber :doah:). Anyway I, like mrk5, would like another shot at this one :D. And I would like it to be the maiden voyage for the 52" swap (I still need to return Nick's return call).

18. mrk5

You got some work to do then!

19. mrk5

Forgot to water the money tree, huh?

Make sure you save some money for 21Rd in October. :deal: Dad's getting new gears in his K5, 4.88s. I'm sure he'll be anxious to try them and clutch out. :wink1:

20. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Yea no sh!t I keep watering that damm tree and nothing happens. I will be saving up for 21road let me know about when you were thinking