Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(co.) Dakan Mountain this weekend

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by denver75k5, May 14, 2002.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Anyone up for a day trip up to Dakan Mountain? I dont know anything about this trail, it's not rated but its close to denver (by rampart range), Im open to either Saturday or Sunday.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I might be up for a Sunday run. How close was Rampart to the big fire??? Only one way to find out I guess. Rampart is a cool area. I have only rode dirt bikes there a long time ago though. I'll check with the boss and let you know. Ever done Mt. Princeton near Buena Vista? It's a pretty awesome trail but a long drive. Hot spring pool is near by too.

3. denver75k5

Havent heard of that one Dave, but at this point im pretty much up for anything that doesent have snow on it. Like I said I dont know anything about this Dakan trail , and Id hate to get up there and find it's just a dirt road with a few pothoes.
    Mabey if it's you and I this weekend we can meet somewhere inbetween us both?, Just a thought..

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

We are going to do Powerhouse road this weekend, guarenteed to be more than just potholes.

5. denver75k5

ya Steve, but you know im only LSD'd front & rear.

6. Storm Trooper

I know you guys are going Steve but I can't make Sat.
    TJ, I'm in/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Anyone out there hear of this area?
    We might need to do some checking of an alturnative just in case
    or....as <font color=red>Ted Nugent<font color=black> would say
    <font color=blue>"It's a Free for all Baby"<font color=black>
    I'm sure we will figure something out. Humm, just a few of us? Might be a good day for some cool truck shots. I'll do some checking on the area and get back to you but I'm in if Sunday works for you. Also, BTW my new digital tire pressure gauge will be in by Fri./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. denver75k5

Hey Dave, I think im going to go with Steve on Sat. just to ride along , but im still up for Sunday. That trail is on Trails.net here is a quote:This is a favorite play area for me. You can climb this rock in your 4x4 if you have enough nerve. It is not tough, but it does have a very steep aproach angle. If it is wet, it is a real challange. I have seen vehicles get sideways and roll, so be cautious. You can also go around the rock to the right for a little fun too.
    Just a little further on the trail is an area to the left of the main road that has a few moguls. Here you can test the flex of your rig. Or you can test your ability to try and keep all 4 wheels on the terra firma. Aprox. 1.8 miles from Bergen Rock there is a spur that runs to an old mine.
    N 39 16.53 W 105 3.28
    This spur is about 1.5 miles long.
    1 mile past this point takes you to a fork, left continues on the trail, right takes you to Jackson Creek, both take you to Rampart Range Rd. The trail from Hidden Valley Rd is about 10.25 miles long. It is a good 3 to 4 hour trip. Take a lunch, take your time, and have fun. The trail is closed to all use during the winter, and the gates are opened on the first weekend in May. This year the trail was open all the way through, but last year the snow made it a lot more fun, took us a few weeks to get all the way through.

.....................................................................................
    So , I dont know, Spring creek? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. denver75k5

Just ran that trail today , it was pretty boring, did the whole thing in 2wd. hmm any other suggestions?

9. Storm Trooper

I was looking at the opposite side from spring creek. Have you done the trail from Empire to Breckenridge peak before?
    There are several different trails that way that might be a possiblity. If your heading down with Steve on Sat. it might be a long day. Keep my number with you and give me a call on Sat. night if you think you still want to do Sunday.
    Anyone else into a day run?

10. denver75k5

Havent heard of that one either, I was looking at jenny creek on Trails.net , it sounded kinda cool. I definitley want to run something I havent been on before. Is it snowing up there Dave?

11. Storm Trooper

No snow.
    If anyone else wants to join in, we are going to make it a kinda easy day on Sun.( I Think?).
    Going up to Empire then working our way over to St. Marys Glacier/ Alice area.
    BBQ near the top or half way.
    Should be a good time. Unknown trail so we will see.
    We will be meeting at the I-70 / Empire exit at 8:30-9:00 am.