Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CO Emmisions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by colorado_emt, Mar 24, 2000.

1. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

I have a '79 and want to go to dual exhust. I dont want to spend money on high flow cats. I want to know if i can get away with chucking the cats and still pass emmisions test.
    Thanx

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If it came stock with cats (which I'm sure it did) then it's required in Colorado (front range only, mountains excluded). One time they failed me because my "Check Engine" light wouldn't come on in my GMC Typhoon.

BTW-
    If you have headers, I have a dual exaust system thats like brand new.

Shawn
    87 K5
    Littleton, CO

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Shawn, will that exhaust fit a 86?

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

If it came stock with a cat it must be installed to pass an emission test. I don't have this problem since I live 25 miles north of Denver....in Farm country....We are not yet required to have emissions.

Ray

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I had a 79 *eep that I put headers on after I rebuilt a 360 for it and what I found out it that if you have duel's you need two cats. I was working at a dealership in the peoples repubic of Boulder and I went through their emmisions book and found out what hardware was mandatory for it to pass the visual. My year *eep required a smog pump, air injection into the headers and two cats. I caught some greef from a e-test place about me mission a egr valve, but I just asked him if that was required and he shut up. Hope this helps a little bit.

Getsome

6. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

It depends on what county you're in.Weld county,for instance,doesn't require an e test.At least that's my understanding.Thats also where i'm gonna by my house,can you think of a better reason?

7. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

If you live or work in Denver. You will need an e-test even if it is registerd in an exempt county. 1 of my bud's got popped for working in Denver while his truck was registerd in Weld county. It also depends on the local Denver cop w/ nothing better to do than to look at E-stickers to see if they are expired.

i_4x4

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

What happened to your friend? A fine? How much? Just curious...

Shawn