Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

co-phased antenas...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 28, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could i get like a "kit" type thing for co-phasing antenas..i want to have a twin trucker style antenna setup on my blazer, with an antenna on each mirror..(mostly just for looks)..but i also want it to work right...i would not depend on it that much i usually only use my CB for fun or for tlaking to people on a trail sometimes..could i find this kind of setup somewere?

Bryan

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

any one know anything on this??

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Might try posting in the communications forum, but I'll give it a shot. My brothers truck had dual antennas on it when he bought it. I'm not sure if it was done the right way or not, but all that it had was a "T" connecter that both of the antenna wires fed into and then one came out and went into the base unit. The CB seemed to work good. All that it had on it was two firesticks mounted on each antenna and that cable setup.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oops duh!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif yea ill try posting there!! lol..but what are firesticks?

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I don't know if it is the proper name for them or not, but firesticks are little CB antennas that are made out of like a hard plastic with a wire wrapped arround it... the ones on my brothers truck were about 3' tall.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh ok i gotcha..

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You need to get a special harness for dual antennas, the coax has a different resistance than a single antenna uses, or some such thing. I run duals on my truck, only because the PO had put the big holes in the side of the cab to bolt them up. Bills 2 way will have everything you need, call him up for advice, he's a good guy and he knows his stuff.</font color>

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool..ill check that out thanx a lot!

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Firestick is a brand of fiberglass antennas. Wilson makes them too. I had two 5' fiberglass antennas, one on each mirror, for a few months. They sell coax with a Tee built into just for dual setups. I ditched the setup a few months later for a single 102" steel off the rear bumber. Because the mirrors are kind of close together, the waves from the two seem to interfere with eachother. I recieve and get out much better with the single 102", but thats just IMO. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My duals receive and transmit real good to the front and rear of the truck, but kind of blow for communicating with people to the sides. It is more of a trucker setup, since their trucks are so much wider duals work alot better on them. Like I said, I just have them because the holes were there. Still, a well tuned dual setup will outperform a poorly tuned singel antenna rig any day of the week, but a properly tuned system with a single 102" whip in the center (on the front rail of the bed in the middle is an ideal place on a truck) will outperform just about any dual system. Any half way decently tuned system with a hard mount antenna will outperform a system with a magnetic mount antenna. A single 102" whip as close to the center of the truck as possible is really the ideal setup.</font color>

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how can you have them tuned right for a dual setup?

12. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

SWR meter, truck stops carry them, some CB's have them built right in the unit.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Tuning for a dual setup requires proper placement on the vehicle too. Do some Google searches on it, you'll find lots of info. </font color>

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The problem with dual antenas on a small truck is you don't have the width needed. You need 8'+ between the antenas for the CB band. It's a wave lenght thing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could it still be done though..but it would just not work as well..what if you put really wide mirrors on a pickup..(i would not do that to my k5)..but my dad says that on his 72 ford he had really wide mirrors and had twin truckers on it..

Bryan

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

They just don't work as well. You're better off putting one antena in the center of of the vehicle.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so if they are to close to each other do they interfer with each other?..i just would like to talk to people on trails..and mess around on the highway..and have some cool dual antennas on each mirror! lol..

Bryan

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I would recommend staying with a single one, unless looking cool is worth spending more money and having a rig that doesn't work as well. Like I said, I have duals but I would prefer a single system. I just had to plug the holes with something and antennas were the best option to me. I may still swap a single in and just cover the holes with some thick adhesive vinyl or something. If I ever bedline the truck I'll put tape on the inside of the holes then line over them, then pull the tape and line the inside of the hole too.</font color>

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

couldnt you patch it with some sheet medal or something?..is it to big for bondo?

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea..if you went single..could you still put it on one mirror? and have a dummy on the other side..? do they sell cheaper antennas for a dummy..cuase it would be pretty dumb to me to go out and buy a matching 40-60 doller antenna just for nothing really..