Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CO2 contest

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bear76, Feb 9, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Richard Branson and Al Snore have anounced a new $25 million prize to safely remove and store co2 from the atomsphere. I have my idea and plan to submit it. What's yours?

BTW, I'm putting my money on plants/tree's.:wink1:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

to really store CO2 using plant life, you must ensure that the tree (or whatever) is 'mummified' before it dies. A tree holds lots of CO2 over its lifespan, but when it dies and decomposes, every single molocuel of co2 goes right back into the air. So basically, the best plan would be to grow a ton of fast growing plants (bamboo?) and then when they are in their prime you cut them down and make long-term-use consumer products (hardwood floors?) that people would own for a long time and at the end of their usefull lifespan, could be recycled and used again somehow.

j

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

As the plant life breaks down not all the co2 gets out. It stays locked in the ground, this is how we got oil in the first place.

4. jekbrown

a small amount of wood may remain un-decomposed for long periods of time, but it doesn't just vanish. The nature of oil deposits and how they form is not known with certainty.

in any case, the vast majority goes "poof" and goes right back into the air. A forest is a good CO2 sponge... but it isn't a permenent co2 storage solution.

j

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Well, give me good idea so I can win the $25 mil.

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_sink\

This seems to prove both points at once, making both of us wrong and right:D .

My idea is diffent than this anyway. But I do like the idea of one day smaller counties selling rights to reforest their land to offset the co2 produced by larger/developed countries.

7. jekbrown

there was a researcher from northern europe who suggested that oil was in fact created by some sort of subterranean microbes. To help prove his theory he drilled down very deep into a very thick slab of solid rock which geologically speaking, shouldn't have any oil at all, and he leeched out a few barrels. :dunno: I think a lot of the time we assume where oil comes from. Oh, its made out of carbon compounds... well, so are plants and stuff... and then a very unscientific 'leap' is made. I'm not sure the link has been proven beyond doubt. It may be that the theory is accurate, but I don't think we know definitively yet. In any event, I'm willing to agree that some co2 can be locked into the ground by various mechanisms... though some of that may come right back out at a later date. At the same time a great deal just floats away back into the air. This is a looong process. I see fallen logs all the time in the forest, some appear to have been laying there/rotting for years. Insects do their part in getting CO2 out of the tree as well. Smaller plant life (bushes, weeds, grasses and such) almost certainly send all their CO2 back where it came from. A trees massiveness probably makes it more likely that at least part of the trees meat will survive long enough to somehow become "locked" into the ground.

btw, your wikipedia link didn't work for me...

j

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I look at it from a practical way. If I sqeeze the right plant hard long enough it will produce an oil. The "peat" and organic stuff at the bottom of the forest floor will be covered and sqeezed over time, oil.
    But maybe the microbes help the process along somehow. Or may the oil just seeped into the rock like the oil from my truck seeps into the concreate:haha: .

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They should just suck all the CO2 out of the air and fill bottles with it...then give the bottles out to all the hobby welders to use a shield gas. Free shield gas for all! :D

Rene

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

They would, but no one knows a way to pull co2 from the atmosphere. That's part of the contest.

11. jekbrown

There are ways to pull co2 from atmosphere... they scrub it from the air the astronauts breathe on the shuttle. I should ask my dad about this... he is a retired scientists who could use $25M... :grin:

j

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

That's called the abiogenic oil theory. Find the microbes that make the oil and bring them to the surface.

Better yet, find a way to add some hydrogen to the co2 and mix it right and make a burnable fuel.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Stop allowing industries to buy "pollution credits" from the government in order to dump more pollutants into the air. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

So, when shall I tell my credit union to expect that $25 mill??? :D :haha:

14. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

We have to find away to reverse the problem, not prevent more