Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Co2 tank questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 15, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just rigged up a 10# aluminum co2 tank and I used the regulator that cam with my lincoln 135 mig welder and when I turn the tank on it only goes to 75 psi and I thought that the regulator was adjustible, it has a knob on the front of it but when I turn it nothing happens.
    Also when I tested the tank on my tires the regulator and some of the hose started to get ice on them is this normal??
    Thanks

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya, that is normal. CO2 is a liquid when compressed (forced to become colder than air). As it flows out it is actually like vapor frost. Kinda neat huh? (okay I am a geek so it is *cool* to me <- stupid pun /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

your welder rgulator probably maxes out around 80psi as any more than that would make striking an arc very difficult (read impossible). Your local welding/gas shop will have similar regulators but larger psi (200 or so if you want) a 150psi is found to work well for tires. Air tools run around 90psi however.

3. 85mudblazin

yeah I think it is pretty cool now that I dont have to worry about it blowing up, even at 75 PSI I love the co2 it will really come in handy.
    I think ill go to the welding shop and get a new regulator.
    Thanks

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The tanks won't actually blow up. The neck of the valve has a dime size circular flat spot on it. That is made to a specific thickness. It allows around 3000psi but if the tank heats up to say 3250 the steel *plug* shears open and releases all of the air. You then have to order a new plug deal.

5. 85mudblazin

I was just worried about the regulator flying into pieces, it gets pretty icy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif