Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coarse Thread Bolts in Springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

MuddyTazz and I were talking in PM's and he had a question that I am unsure of and want to know.

Is it ok to use coarse thread bolts in leaf spring eyes? (with lockwashers and locknuts) I don't see why not but don't know for sure.

It appears that my ORD greaseable bolts and my stock GM bolts are coarse but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks
    Harley

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

all the suspension bolts in my k5 are coarse thread. AFAIK, fine thread bolts wouldn't be any stronger or more durable in this application, since the thread/nut is just there to keep the bolt in the hanger, not to withstand the forces of the vehicles weight etc. In an application like the studs that hold the passanger spring plate on a D60 though, being fine thread is the only way to go because the threads are the only thing holding the spring plate down, and more threads = more surface area = stronger.

j

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

As near as I can tell the only reason to use a fine thread would be if you're worried about the nut backin off. Would take longer with fine threads than coarse. More rotations.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

all are coarse thread from the factory, except for the front shackle bolts, which are fine thread. i dont see why it would make a bit of difference.