Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coast gaurd

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eightyone, Nov 8, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

is anyone here in the coast gaurd, or ever been in the coast gaurd? ive been considering this option for a while now, ive been looking into it for a few weeks, and it seems like the thing for me. im wonderingif theres anyone here with experience who can tell me whats its really liek, not just what they tell you. thanks.

2. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have been in for 2.5 yrs now tell me what you want to know. I am an ET3 (e4) soon to be E5. I am an Electronics technician and am stationed at a LORAN Station in Nevada. Call MKC Lyons at 910-367-1716 if you have any questions. He is a ctraight foward recruiter. Or call me at 775 428 2201 for any questions.

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

im goin to meet with a recruiter tomarow morning, they told me i should have at least 2 years of college under my belt, but i dont have any, but they said that was allright, and i have to take a test and stuff liek that, i should be fine for the physical, but im worried about a written test, did you take that? if so, what is it like? thanks for any info.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Call MKC Lyons at 910-367-1716 if you have any questions. He is a ctraight foward recruiter.

[/ QUOTE ]

CG station oak island? i used to have a 367 number, so thats real local to me.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

The only test you take is the ASVAB. It is taken by every service. It is basically a common sense test. I was an average student (b average most of the time sometimes lower) I year of college and I scored a 96%. All that test really does is tell them which careers in the military you can and cant do. There is no requirement for college just highschool diploma or GED.

6. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

well, i saw the recruiter, there is aot of jobs i cannot do because im color blind. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif but i am going to take the test soon and the physical, i cant wait.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Kyle,

Saw your post, I was in the right after high school, scored 98% on the ASVAB. Did the 2 year RP program, reserve program.

My dad retired from the Coast Guard a one star Admiral, 30+ years in. Great duty for him and our family. It's one of the best services to be in if you are going to join.

But the service is the service. Make sure you get a school, or you are going to end up painting small boats during your time in. It's not for everyone, but it was good for our family. Get everything in writing, even with the Coast Guard, the recruiter was not very up front with me and my dad was ever there in his dress uniform.

Good luck.

Rob