Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coast Guard people

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Dec 7, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking about going down to a USCG recruiter tomorrow. I think it'd be a step forward for me, considering I'm pretty much spinning my wheels where I am right now. I want to go active duty for two or three years, and I think USCG is where I'd fit in best. I've grown up on the water, and I love being on a boat, no matter what the weather. I've got a ton of time on small boats, and it's something I like. Not to mention, I'd be stationed (more than likely) somewhere where there's somewhere to surf nearby.

On top of all that, it'd take care of medical/dental, I'd make some money, and maybe grow up a little. College isn't doing much for me right now (I'm actually going to go try to drop most of my classes tomorrow), and this sounds way more interesting.

Anyone been there, done that, got the t-shirt?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sounds like a great idea...

3. thezentree

Yea, the only problem I can see is being the weird older guy at school when/if I get out and go back to school, but I'm quickly approaching that anyway. I should be a junior, and yet I've only got like 18 or 20 credit hours total.

Yea, I ****ed up that bad.

4. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good for you man. Hope the visit with the recruiter goes well.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey John, I've worked with Coasties in the past and those guys are top notch! Try and stay with the smaller boats, if you make the decision. The aviation side is first rate also, flight mechs and swimmers, both jobs rank high on the "cool job" scale. Your choices of duty stations are far better than any other branch of service. The only negative that I have ever heard from Coasties is the promotion rate is rather slow, that may have changed over the last 3yrs though. Good luck with the recruiter and on your decision.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

7. thezentree

8. thezentree

I am not allowed to join the Coast Guard because of choices I have made in the past.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, they do frown when you check yes to the barn yard animal question.:whistle:

:D

PS - having recognized the problem, get serious with school. I do have the BTDT T-shirt with that.

10. thezentree

I gotta get serious with somethin, this has not been a good day for me.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, after 3 years of college I had lost a full scholarship, destroyed my blazer and managed to earn about 1/3 of the necessary credits to actually get a degree. I also had a great tan and a perpetual hangover. That's when I had a wakeup, of sorts. Something about having to actually make a living when I got finished.

In the next 2 years, I got my stuff together, graduated and moved on bigger and better things.

If you know that you are spinning your wheels, set a goal and get moving in the right direction. Figuring out that you are spinning your wheels is half the battle.