Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coast Guard

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FL84K5, Sep 20, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Is anyone here in the Coast Guard or has served in it? I'm thinking about going in the reserves while I finish college and then going in as an officer and going to flight school to fly helicopters. Any advice? How did you like it? WWould you do it again? Thanks

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I was in the Coast Guard. I went through Boot Camp in Alameda, Ca. on Government Island. That tells you how long it has been since I was in. Now I think the only Boot Camp is in Cape May, NJ. I would do it all over again. The only reason I got out was because I was young and dumb. I did make it to Cheif Boatswains Mate in only 6 years and did some drill instructing at Boot Camps. It was a blast.
    If you decide to go in make sure you read the General orders the recruiter will give you to memorize. They are the bread and butter in Boot Camp. There were 11 of them when I went through. I was drilled on them som much I still know them. I got out in 1982.

John

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My friends son is in it and stationed in Hawaii... must be really rough to have to be sent there for 3 years... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Or you could be stationed at some village in Alaska where the poppulation might be 100 or so. hahaha but the fishing is good.

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey as long as the fishing is good what can ya complain about? lol. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif later.

jacob

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My friends son is in it and stationed in Hawaii... must be really rough to have to be sent there for 3 years...

[/ QUOTE ]
    WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Back the truck up Chuckenstein!!!!! Pulling 3 years in Hawaii is rough! I know, I did it. When I first got there, we had to defend Waikiki against the Iraqi Republican Guard's Special Marine Unit. Or flying over most of Oahu by chopper (doors off of course /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) on air assault missions. Pulling duty at Club Femme Nu in civilian clothes, that was rough. Don't knock it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. chevyracing

When I was in the Coast Guard I was stationed in Gulf Port, Ms, and then in New Orleans, La. I never made it to Hawwwaaaaiii. I heard rock fever does suck though.
    After that I went back to Alameda, Ca to scream at recruits for 2 years, give them midnight motivation, and teach them how to tie knots.

John

John

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

What did you do with them once they learned how to tie knots? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How to untie them of course... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. chevyracing

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What did you do with them once they learned how to tie knots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steph was right... You would be amazed though at how hard it is to teach some people such a simple art.

John

11. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

one of our cadets here is a coast guard brat...he said his family really like it and all cause its not as hard as the other branches and there is no year long vacation to korea if your in long enough. I say if your up to serve go for it...no way ya could sneak on over to the army camp is there?? Good luck with whatever ya do /forums/images/icons/grin.gif