Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coax questions

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by newboy89, Aug 22, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

Ok going from a celing mounted midland 79-290 CB to a K-40 trucker ant. mounted on the left side of my rear bumper what kind of coax should i use? can i use TV coax and just buy connectors? and if so what connectors? or just buy like a pre-fabbed 20 footer cable? thanks for the help. the whole coax thing is still a mystery to me so any other advice would be appreciated as well. thanks again.

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The co-ax cable designed for CB radio's is called RG-58, 18 feet is the magic number for its length. The K40 antenna is an excellent antenna, but you may want to consider a 102" stainless whip for that mounting location. The fiberglass top will block a good chunk of the signals, the taller whip will get above the top and let you talk farther and receive better.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What year is your Blazer ??? Does it have the full removable top, or half top ??? If you have the half top, consitter a light bar and mount the antenna on it. With the full removable top, I'l go 102" stainless steel whip, or mirror mount the K40.