Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cobra 148 GTL

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by bosifus, Sep 5, 2000.

1. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

Hello all, I am new to the world of cb's and have a quick question. I picked up a older Cobra model 148 GTL at the swap meet the other day and was wondering if this is a good cb or what? I paid $30 for it and hope I did not get ripped off,it does work also as I hooked it up on the spot.Any info is appreciated, Thanks. (By the way this thing is big and looks bad a$$, just need to figure out where to put it now?)

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That is Cobras Top o' the line unit.... That is a great deal for $30. ANy idea how old it is?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. bosifus

The guy I bought it from said he had it for a couple of years after he wreaked his 4x so I really don't know.He did say he had bought it new though. Judging from the wear on it I would say it was used very little. I could probably open it up and find a date on the board inside or maybe run the fcc number? Do you know if there are better or worse years for this thing or are they pretty much the same internaly? Thanks.

4. Emmettology 101

There is probably a date either by the serial number or on the board inside, but I guess the newer Cobras are made by Maxxon and Kraco now and are not a good quality. As longer as yours is older than I dont see where that would come into play..

Sounds like you got a good deal and you got a really nice unit!!!!!!! I would maybe take it somewhere to have the juce turned up adn payed with a litte. Of course they may open it up and find that already done!

Enjoy!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. bosifus

That was the first thing I wondered about, whether or not it had been tuned and peaked so to speak.I will probably hook it up with a big whip and see how well it does. Yeah I figured I was getting a good deal on the unit, I noticed it right away as having all the bells and whistles so figured I could'nt really go wrong.I started looking around for stuff on the net for info and there is quite a bit to read up on. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

6. Emmettology 101

No problem. Have you hooked it up yet to see if it worked? Even if it were very old, I dont htink they have changed them except for little things like Sound tracker and Night light crap... Other than that I think they are all the same.

Mike [​IMG]

7. bosifus

Yeah I hooked it up and it works great, but right now it is sitting in the garage till I can do it right.L8TR

8. Emmettology 101

9. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I love my 148GTL, I have problems with it from time to time but then I am running almost 8 watts AM and almost 30 watts SSB, I also have the thing set up for use in the lower ham bands, I think if I remember right it has almost 280 channlels and for a few $$ you should be able to find someone who could set yours up too.
    A lot of people say that the units built in the US are the best, Others say it's a tossup, they stopped building them in the US in the late 80's.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

10. mark

mark Registered Member

that's a good radio and really good for 30 $
    cobras are uniden radios with the cobra name on it .
    they are easy to modify for extra channels ,if you want to know how e mail me .
    mark359@earthlink.net

Mark Hughes