Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cobra 18 help

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by thezentree, Oct 3, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i have a cobra 18 thats goin to a 102" whip. i'm not getting more than 1/4 mile range at best when transmitting, and maybe 1 mile when recieving. i hooked it up to an SWF meter, and its 2:1 at under 2 watts. so from my understanding, the antenna length is OK, but the radio isn't putting out near the power it should. the radio is wired according to the manual (negative lead to negative battery terminal, and one positive to the +terminal on the battery, and the other positive to an auxilary circuit in the fuse panel). the fuses are all good. is there a ground problem? what have i done wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Sorry it's taken so long for a reply... I must be slipping.

It sounds like your antenna is fine. It you bought the radio used it might have been tuned for lower power output to drive an amplifier. If hasn't been tuned then you either have a band final output transistor or you need to have it tuned up.

Try to find a cb shop locally and they should be able to turn it back up to normal for less than $30 at most places. If the transistor is shot they can probably replace it also for a little more.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

cool, thanks for the help

i might get it tuned to 8 or 10 watts. is that too powerful?

also, im thinking about selling it for a radio that has an RF gain knob and a PA function (yea, its fun yelling at people in the mall parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)