Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cobra radios

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by MontanaLifted, Jan 6, 2004.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Who knows anything about the Cobra 18WXST-II??(Assuming by the model number that this is a SoundTracker2)

This is the all black radio with the speaker on the front side. It's got all that digital scan through 40 channels etc...

What I need to know is are these good radios? Is this the biggest one or is this a compact version? Can these radios be modified?
    Would I just be better off with getting a Cobra LTD29?

Thanks
    ML

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

The Cobra 18 can be had all day long for about $19-29 new. It is their bottom of the line radio. In other words cheesy. The 29ltd is by far a better radio and can be tweaked n peaked for an even better performing radio. Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have the 18. It is a good enough radio for general purposes and CAN be modified. Just had mine installed at a CB shop. Weather band is a nice feature too.

4. MontanaLifted

Ok so I've done more research and decided on a Cobra 148NWWX with SSB I think I will like the sideband option. It will be a first for me.

Does anyone have a 148 they want to sell?

What about an antenna? It's obviously not practical to mount a 33 foot antenna on my truck but what is the best antenna I can get that is smaller than a 102" whip that will get as much of the 10 meters as I can get??

I guess what I'm asking is is there a "power" antenna that acts like a 33 foot antenna?

ML
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok so I've done more research and decided on a Cobra 148NWWX with SSB I think I will like the sideband option. It will be a first for me.

Does anyone have a 148 they want to sell?

What about an antenna? It's obviously not practical to mount a 33 foot antenna on my truck but what is the best antenna I can get that is smaller than a 102" whip that will get as much of the 10 meters as I can get??

I guess what I'm asking is is there a "power" antenna that acts like a 33 foot antenna?

ML
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I think Lew at Bigfoot might have a 148. If you want more power, there is a way to do that. If you have room for a 102 Stainless Steel antenna, then go for it. If not, I like the K40 for a shorter antenna.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

K40, wilson2000, wilson5000, Astatic 1k linear, Astatic 3k linear, Monkey Made, Striker. These are good antennas that will equal a 102" whip. There may be some debate, but these are some good antennas. I've used all but the K40 and Monkey made and will vouch for the others. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MontanaLifted

Yes but can you name one as your favorite???

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    These are good antennas that will equal a 102" whip.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know about that one, I've never found a antenna that can preform as good as a 102.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a cobra 148GTL I would like to sell. I will take $100.00 shipped. Let me know by PM if you are interested as I don't enter this forum very often.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes but can you name one as your favorite???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to lean towards the Wilson5000/2000 ($45-90), then the Astatic 3k linear ($60-75), and finally the Striker ($100) (all in order from my first choice to my third). These of course are my preferences if I were not going to use a 102" whip ($10-20). Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The problem with the cb band is the wavelength is so large that you can't fit an antenna on a vehicle that will actually give you increased gain. The 102" is a quarter wavelength antenna. It is almost the same as the "baseline" for figuring gain. To increase gain you have to make the antenna bigger....quite a bit bigger in the case of CB's.

Anytime you see a mobile antenna claiming it has "such and such gain" just remember it is all marketing BS. The real trick in making a good mobile antenna for the cb band is to make it shorter than an actual quarterwave and still perform as close as possible to the full length version.