Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cobra vs Uniden!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by taterblazer, Mar 21, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a CB soon. Which brand should I go with. Are the Uniden Bearcats any good? Thanks!

2. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

Go with the Uniden and you won't be sorry. Cobra's are " japenese junk" as far as I am concerned. Unidens are " USA ALL THE WAY". Coupl;e a uniden to a wilson 1000 and talk where you want to. Hope this helps.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah go with Uniden, Cobra got bought out in 1995(?). Since then all their radios suck. I have a old Cobra 25, and it works great.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

4. taterblazer

Thanks all! For the help. Is the Bearcat series as good or better than the classic series that Unident has?

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The CB you're thinking of from the Bearcat series are the PC and Grant Models. Like the PC-77 LTW, PC-67 XL, Grant LT, etc. Uniden's site takes you through all the models. The Grant LT is there top model, I have one and love it to death.

[​IMG]

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes Cobra and MAxon are one in the same company now.

Unidens and Cobras used to be identically inside and made by the same company, but not after the Cobra buy out.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

7. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Anything made by President is the same as Uniden, so either one is equally good... save your pennies and find a Ranger 2950..... worth the extra $$$.
    DO NOT use this radio in the 10 meter Ham band. You can get it to work as a CB, and it gives you a few extra channel from an old CB band plan used for R/C cars now.... and will give you 10 watts out, also allows you use sideband. THere is an FM mode, but it isn't used much.
    There is another model, the 2970, it has 100 watts built into it, but the amp is under the unit and fries the radio....and 100 watts isn't just a little extra power...10 watts gets the job done more than good enough.

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you can find a uniden PC-66 it is like the old Cobra 29-LTD. It will do what you need and has a built in SWR meter. It won't gouge you too bad either.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

wholly cow!!!!!!! I just saw this post is 7 months old...

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

10. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

Any of the old Cobras (pre-95) are good, Uniden and President are still very good. PC-66 as someone suggested is a great rig, it is basically the same as one of the old Cobra 25's, both loud radios. Don't waste your time and money on the RCI 2950 or any of the RCI junk in my opinion. Unless that radio has gone through a complete redesign on the inside, it is junk, especially for a 4x4 IMHO. If you are in the market for an export rig the Galaxies are pretty popular, but my preference goes to the old faithful HR2510. You could drop it out of an airplane and it would still work. Of course these export types will cost you more money.

11. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Interesting thought here but Galaxies are made by Ranger comm. Just something to think about...

Tim
    &lt;img src="http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-559733-usflaglargesm.jpg"&gt;
    <font color=red>"Don't Tread on Me"</font color=red>

12. taterblazer

Went with a Midland. Not sure if it's good or not. I'd probably try a different brand if I did it again. I'll let you guys know if it's worth a damn after I let the truck stop cb shop tune it.

13. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

I've got a buddy that bought a Midland, it talks real good. There are some that talk better but for the options that you get with his they can't begin to compare in price. Channel scan, upppers, and lowers, A good CB shop can open them up with just the removal of a jumper or two. It rocked.